Ty175 Wide Pegs

pat_56

A few days ago I stumbled onto a post that had a great photo of an aftermarket set of wide pegs that had a built in pin for holding the peg up so the kick start would clear it.

Tonight I have spent over an hour and a half trying to find that post so I could see what brand or source of those pegs were.

Can any one please tell me what source of wide pegs for the TY175 has the little pin that holds the peg back?

Thank you,

Pat

Edited by pat_56

Pat I think they are my pegs you are asking about. They are modified Sammy Miller Products footpegs. The modification was to fit a self-retracting pin on the RH peg. If that is what you are wanting I can probably find the photos showing how to do it

This is not the post that I had originally seen but the link Ourian posted took me to some photo's by David Lahey. I like the look of this arrangement. The other kit which provides built in clearance looks to me that it may have sacrificed width to clearance.

I think the pegs you're talking about were a modification and not off the peg pegs

Pat I think they are my pegs you are asking about. They are modified Sammy Miller Products footpegs. The modification was to fit a self-retracting pin on the RH peg. If that is what you are wanting I can probably find the photos showing how to do it

Feetupfun, if you have a photo or two that will help I would really like to see them. Thank you, Pat

Edited by pat_56

If you want footrest brackets that allow you to kickstart the bike without folding up the rest, then as mentioned above, TY Offroad make them. There are pictures on their website. They sell the new fixing plate/bracket, then you buy your own footrests.

They give the bike a more modern stance by lowering the pegs (maybe back a bit as well, not sure) and they are made to accept any of the modern type rests from Hebo, Apico, S3 etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the kick start levers on the TY175 be properly and durably welded?

On mine the lever has been arc welded to the knuckle (prior to me owning it), although it looks like ordinary arc welding I'd guess a special rod was used possibly one for welding stainless as there is no rust.

There are no signs of cracking and it has served me well for the past 10 months, so I'd say yes they can be properly and durably welded, if you know what you're doing that is.

On mine the lever has been arc welded to the knuckle (prior to me owning it), although it looks like ordinary arc welding I'd guess a special rod was used possibly one for welding stainless as there is no rust.

There are no signs of cracking and it has served me well for the past 10 months, so I'd say yes they can be properly and durably welded, if you know what you're doing that is.

So are the stock kick start levers made out of stainless steel?

The TY175 kickstart lever is forged steel that has been electroplated. It can be welded with a plain steel welding rod or with a stainless steel welding rod.

The hard bit in doing a weld repair on them is to end up with the hole being perfectly round and of the right diameter.

The TY175 kickstart lever is forged steel that has been electroplated. It can be welded with a plain steel welding rod or with a stainless steel welding rod.

The hard bit in doing a weld repair on them is to end up with the hole being perfectly round and of the right diameter.

Great tech feetupfun. I knew that a magnet would stick to it but it didn't seem to stick that firmly and I have noted that some grades of stainless would stick to a magnet too although somewhat weakly so I was somewhat confused, it would be because the magnet I used was wide and not real strong. I have regular and stainless wire for my MIG so I am going to look for some ebay parts as a back up and for experimentation. Thank You!

So are the stock kick start levers made out of stainless steel?

Sorry Pat, I should have explained a bit further, as feetup has said the levers are forged steel and can be welded using plain mild steel, however due to the characteristics of forged steel it is recommended to use stainless rods when welding forged steel, as using mild steel tends to cause cracking of the weld in high stress areas.

• Like 1