Classic Trials Bike Insurance

tyrefryer

I've just bought a 1959 AJS 16MS in trials trim, I believe it would have originaly been a standard road bike. I just called Footmas James who I have another classic bike insured with and they say they won't insure it because it's a trials bike! When I asked them if it would make any difference if it was an original factory trials bike they said it wouldn't as they don't insure trials bikes!

Can anyone recommend any insurers who will insure a classic trials bike?

Thanks and here's a pic of the bike.

post-17601-0-92584700-1409672911_thumb.jpg

Hi, tyrefryer,

You really have several problems, the nub of your insurance problem is that if you wish to ride in long distance trials, you need insurance whilst using the machine on the road, the organisers of the trial should have taken insurance to indemnify the landowners of any off-road sections. But the nub of the problem is that virtually all vehicle insurers, car, van or bike specifically will not cover you for use in competition, pace-making, etc., etc., I'm sure we've all read the standard wording of virtually every Certificate of Insurance for standard vehicles. Talk to whoever is the organising body, A-CU, AMCA or BMCA, and they should be able to advise you.

The next problem is that the machine is a cobbled up road bike made to look vaguely like a trials bike - alright if it was innocently made up by someone who only had road bits but wanted a fun bike - but grotesquely unkind if it was intended to deceive you into thinking it was worth paying more money to get a trials model.

Attached is the catalogue view of the production trials model of 1958 - which looks close to what yours was made to look like.

post-19290-0-10777300-1409674370_thumb.jpg

I've since found MSM Insurance who offer cover for trials and enduro bikes in competition usage and spoke to a really helpful lady called Jan, so competition cover problem solved. http://www.msminsurance.co.uk/trialsenduro.asp

Thanks Deryk, yes I was aware that it's a converted road bike when I bought it and I believe the price reflected that. Had it been a genuine 16 MC/16 C I don't think I would have been able to afford it, so I saw it as an affordable (for me) way into pre-65 trials, (I also have a Sherco 290 and a Bultaco). I'd be interested to know what the differences are between what I have and a genuine version that make it only "look vaguely like a trials bike" if you could enlighten me? And am I wasting my time using it in club trials?

Thanks, Martin.

Edited by tyrefryer

msm are the insurers of choice if you wish to do road trials.. 4 trials a year and you ll be in credit against using on the day insurance. carol nash insure all my bikes simply and cheaply.. on reg numbers or frame numbers.. also unlimited aa call outs.. against an aa recovery/roadside policy which now limit to 5 call outs per year on a std policy..

im about to enquire with msm about the possibility of cars whilst on long distance car trials

Hi, tyrefryer,

Glad you appear to have 'bought it right'.

In answer to your query as to whether you would be wasting your time - never, as long as you accept the limitations and go out to just enjoy yourself - and if you are out in the fresh air and enjoying yourself...........

The limitations will be the weight, the steering head angle and the gearing - but there are NO pre-65 trials left anymore - organisers have allowed a free-for-all as far as modifications are concerned so you pays yer money............

But be honest, would you have been a winning rider whatever machine you had? If not, just enjoy being a happy rider........there's a lot of us about! I had an ex-works AMC (TUL 654) and I never won anything on it - but I did enjoy it..............

Cheers

Deryk

Hi Deryk, yes I guessed the steering head angle and gearing would probably be different, as for the weight a fair bit has been done and I can do more. But at the end of the day if I get the carburation, timing, clutch and controls etc setup, I'm sure the bike will be more capable than my abilities will push it to.

I'm 15 minutes from my clubs practice ground (Milton Buzzards) so I'll be getting plenty of use of it there and I would like to have a go at some of the road trials like the Arbuthnot as we were discussing in the other thread.

Cheers, Martin.

msm are the insurers of choice if you wish to do road trials.. 4 trials a year and you ll be in credit against using on the day insurance. carol nash insure all my bikes simply and cheaply.. on reg numbers or frame numbers.. also unlimited aa call outs.. against an aa recovery/roadside policy which now limit to 5 call outs per year on a std policy..

im about to enquire with msm about the possibility of cars whilst on long distance car trials

Thanks totalshell, I'll give Carole Nash a call too.