Ossa Mar Decals

basketcase

The Miller decals aren't quite right, they're too thick in the horizontal section where they sweep to the rear of the tank.

The decals on ebay are the right shape from Anglia Vinyl Art but I noticed the MAR Replica sidepanel sticker is missing the year 1972 from the dates he won the European championship. It should be 71 - 72, not just 71.

Also, these decals are for the UK style alloy tank. If you have a fibreglass tank the decals are a different shape to suit the different profile of the glass tank. No-one here does them as the MK2 and MK3 all had the glass tank replaced by Ossa UK when imported new, so 'UK shape' decals had to be made. You probably have the alloy tank but just a thought with more bikes coming in from Europe these days.

Cheers all, yes woody I have the alloy tank. I emailed ossacels asking if their decals would fit but haven`t had a reply.Probably not, as you say the `foreign` ones had the fibreglass tank. There`s a choice of 2 sidepanel decals, A & B, if you look one does have the `72 on it.

My mate who`s spraying the tank for me only needs them as a guide as he`s spraying them on so I suppose that if they`re the `wrong` ones it doesn`t really matter. Ossacels are quite a bit cheaper than the others as they supply the sidepanel decals with the tank ones all for 40 euros.

A and B is for the MK1 and for the MK2 / 3. The MK1 came out in 1972 by which time Mick had won the SSDT in 1970 and 71 and the European champioship in 1971, so the decal made reference to those dates. He won both again in 1972 so when the MK2 came out in late 1973 they added 1972 to both titles on the MAR decal, so it should say Euro winner 71 - 72, SSDT winner 70 - 71 - 72. It's this 72 that's missing.

Below is a picture of the UK shaped decal

post-71-0-80046100-1409867890_thumb.jpg

This is the Miller decal

post-71-0-46645700-1409868117_thumb.jpg

This is the MK2 decal

post-71-0-33579200-1409868165_thumb.jpg

Decal for the fibreglass tank. You can see the different shape

post-71-0-59076900-1409868247_thumb.jpg

Good question. I don't know what happened to the decals from the ebay seller mentioned above as they used have the correct dates

There was another seller in the UK that did them but the website seems a bit flaky at the moment and I couldn't find any mention of the sidepanel decal, only the tank

http://www.classicbikedecals.com/

Other than that I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Giles' MAR MK2 decals on my fibreglass tank about 6 years ago. I knew they were made for the alloy tank, but just trimmed them carefully and I think they ended up looking very nice. Thanks for making them Giles.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 3

I've just put a proper MAR shifter on it the other day. The one in the photo is off some other OSSA. It fits OK but hits on things. The proper MAR one is curved up at the front - photo later

I've taken a photo but am having problems getting it off my phone

Edited by feetupfun

Thanks feetupfun, I think i can remember sending those ones. It looks to me like the Australian bikes had a slightly different fibreglass tank to the one I have in the shed, I'm sure mine has either an insert area or flat spot for the Ossa badges.

Just about the reply to the PM sorry for the delay

yes mine also has flat spots for the OSSA badges, but I trimmed the decals to fit right up against the OSSA badges so it is hard to see the flat spots