Problem With The Hot Start Knob On Evo 4T

levis

MyBeta evo 4T hot start red knob doesn't stay in place while cranking the engine.

Once in a while especially afer the bilke has fallen I've got to pull this red knob to help the engine starting but no way this lever remains pulled by itself. I've got to keep it pulled with my left hand while cranking trying to keep my body balanced. It's a bit of a pain!

Anyone knows a trick to keep this things working correctly?

Levis,

I have not pulled the hot start lever component apart yet on my wife's 4T but...

It is definitely a detent shaft that has maybe a small ball that drops into the detent as you pull it out (or something similar).

It obvious yours is not holding in the out position.

Going by the nut that is against the alloy boss you can undo it and pull it out to give a clean or a re-grease on the shaft possibly.

See if you can find a schematic on the net or a parts list on Beta site in the USA before you pull it out just to see whats inside first!!! You want anything falling inside the intake port as you remove it.

EDIT: Try pulling the rubber boot off the alloy boss and hold it back towards red knob and spray some WD40, RP7 or your local similar stuff, along shaft and push in/out and apply a few times. Might free the detent up???

Mags

Edited by mags

A riding buddy of mine has a 4T and found a kit somewhere to add a remote cable to the bars that actuates the hot start. I have only seen the bar end of that kit so have no idea how it connects down below. Sorry I can't be more help but thought this might give you an option to research if interested.

Thanks for your precious help.

I tried first mags advice then 'That's five' hotstart kit if I resign.

So I pulled this rubber boot and cleaned everything. Then I thought I could make this shaft small ball more rough by filing it at the front so the shaft retaining plastic part rubbing againts the ball would make it more difficult to release the shaft. That's what I want.

I've just done it so I'll let you know after a test ride and see if this shaft will hold in place this time when hotstart occures .

Edited by levis