National Twinshock Championship

woody

Next round coming up - 28th September

Run by Hillsborough club

Hillsborough - a club with a wealth of experience and a reputation for running good events. Proper trials in proper trials country. Home of the Jack Wood, Normandale rounds, River Kwai, the legendary DT

Venue is Ughill, not too far from Sheffield, head out west on the A57 towards Glossop and turn right into trials heaven. Where the old Sebac and then Falcon rounds used to be run in the 90s. Happy days, entries of 100 plus riders on twinshocks and Pre65. Now, at last, a chance to ride there again in a twinshock event.

So what's going on? Entries appear to be a bit on the slow side dropping through the secretary's letter box. A gentle plop plop instead of the resounding thud this event deserves. What do twinshock riders want? At last, we have a series catering for twinshocks for a good spread of abilities. Big courses, 2 laps, 20 sections. Ambience, nostalgia, Preston Petties, braceless 8" Renthals, huge looping throttle cables, Preilli MT13s (maybe not, but if someone has, a good opportunity for some p*** taking) No need for road licences and insurance. All held off road. Two routes so no excuse for compaints of too hard - enter the right route.

So what's stopping you from entering? Too much pampering of machines and not enough riding them? People treating them as investments? Ornaments? There are plenty being sold, are we reduced to just talking about them now? They're for riding. If you want an ornament to polish and look at get a Harley - or a 4RT :P If you want an ornament to splash posing pictures all over the net, get an internet bride - me love you lots, me look after you, if you lucky me sucky sucky - but I guarantee that riding your twinshock instead of that will be far less painful and less expensive experience in the long run... And it should be emphasised that a standard bike is perfectly suitable to ride on either route, any thoughts that you need some super trick multi-thousand pound creation to take part are well wide of the mark. This isn't the Normandale series, sections on the hard route are challenging but within the capabilities of early twinshocks.The Spanish Historic class at one round was won on an unmodified 1971 250 Bultaco - on the hard route, and he wasn't too far off an overall win. It's down to the rider, not the bike.

So come on you twinshock owners, dig them out of the sheds, remove the fairy lights and bunting and pull them down from the ornamental pedastals, this new series has had a reasonably encouraging following so far and the organisers are looking to build on this and continue with it next year. It needs our support to enable them to do this. Pre65 has had it good for years with the British Bike series, Pre65 Sottish, other big profile Pre65 only events. Twinshocks have had nothing up until now. Now they have. Riders' feedback is always welcome, what do you think of the series so far, good points, bad points, they need to know. Although there is no facility at the moment on the series' website for comments, they do have a link from the homepage to their facebook page which allows people to give any thoughts they have on the series. Let them know.

So there it is, this is the last round and what a venue to finish, they don't come much better (unless my memory has failed completely) Get your entries in.

For whatever reason, the entry form hasn't been uploaded to the series website, but it is on their facebook page - can't post a link but just search for twinshock trials championship. You'll need to scroll down a bit to find them.

Or they're on the Hillsborough site

http://www.hillsboroughmcc.co.uk/

So, be there, you know it makes sense. Twinshock, pre65 or air-cooled mono. All welcome.

Edited by woody
  • Like 6

My entrys in and I am looking forward to riding there again mud, rocks and streams, all very natural. This club always held one of the best falcon rounds.

I rode in the Red rose twinshock trial in August and found it great, it was a shame it rained so much but it did improve for the second lap.

I got my entry form from the Hillsborough mcc web site.

Steve.

8ugger, due to an unforseen family situation I wont be able to ride now.

Edited by bisby

Sadly I can't make it - Due to prior commitments.

I hope the series organisers get the dates out early for next year as I would commit to doing them all - By the time I'd got this years dates I had too much in the diary already.....

It's a good series and a good idea - I hope it continues !!!

As always

The Wobbler !!!!

• Like 2

I wish I could make this Trial but committed to other things. Managed to ride two rounds this year the Oxford Ixion round and the great Bognor club (Run by Tony Martin and Co) organised round at Butser Lime-works. Both great Trials and riding two laps with 20 sections is excellent with section severity spot on. Agree with wobbler hope the organisers get the dates out early and i will be able to ride more if not all of the rounds.

Again agree with wobbler great series and hope it continues

Rob Knowles

Edited by robk

Rode the Oxford round and really enjoyed, have looked to ride others but holidays, clashes with other events etc have meant this has not been the case. I think a lack of firm dates well in advance is possibly a big hindrance. Also being a "independent" series means that lots of other trials and championship have been put in the calendar long before these dates come out. As an ex yorkie I love the Sheffield area trials and have really enjoyed the Normandales but for me 28Th has been allocated to local centre championship so is a no go. ( AS well as the Oxford round II have ridden the twin shock classes in both Torridge and N Lanc s Normandales so I am prepared to travel where quality trials and dates align)