Montesa 248 Coil Relocation.

chappo

Hi everyone,

Looking for some simple electrical knowledge please.

I want to put the condenser under the tank out of the way of the heat as the many threads suggest.

What do you connect the red wire from the condenser to, does it get earthed to the coil/frame mount, or to the spade connector off the coil?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi lbhbul,

Sorry no nearer only due to lack of time, it's a project that's get attention when I'm free.

Hopefully going to get at it over the next week.

One further question though, the counter shaft on the opposite side of the crankshaft to the flywheel, is the thread on the nut normal anti clockwise to release, or clockwise, just need to replace the crank seal.

Thanks, will let you know how the electrics go.

Dave.

Dave; Thanks for the reply and sorry about your time constraints to have a bit of fun.

I don't know but have to assume 247??

Cant remember but I assume the drive side threads are anti clockwise, I do recall the drive

gear being a bother & requiring a special puller, there was a recent thread showing this

puller.

Found it! Montesa 348 Success Story ref. feetupfun post

Help; johnmartin247, wobbler, kingscorpion & others.

Regards Larry

Edited by lbhbul

Hi anyone following this, the primary drive thread is a conventional clockwise to tighten, anti clockwise to loosen.

Tried a normal Sealey gear puller to remove the primary drive, Not A Chance, snapped very early, .....................seen the pictures on here of an 18 ton puller latched on and nothing's happening.

Going to MachineMart tmrw to get a hydraulic puller and see who gives in first.

By the way, the ignition tips helped, the stator was cream crackered so sent it to West CountryWindings and it came back in fine form , the spark is a belting blue colour, but on starting her she coughed and spluttered and blew out blue smoke and was unresponsive off the throttle.

The ignition timing is bob on and the carb seems ok, so I'm assuming it's the primary drive crank seal that's perished and it's drawing in oil and air and that's the problem, anyone had a similar problem ???????

Chappo,

The last issue I had with the primary gear was when main bearings were the issue, had to be replaced;

puller not available. Used torch heat and rapped it sharply,sorry design popped off.

Do not advocate this plan, but was advised by owner, it has to come off.

Much better to come up with puller as per my above post.

Good Luck Larry

Well............................ , puller, lots of heat and a dead blow hammer a really Big Bang and it travelled 8 feet across the garage when it gave up. Had to replace the stock Sealey bolts in the puller with high tensile ones as the originals gave way at half pressure, it was like being under fire.

Really would advocate safety glasses and fast footwork to anyone contemplating this task.

New seal installed, just letting the gaskets set before filling it with oil and seeing if all this work has cured the problem.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated.

Dave.

Edited by chappo
  • Like 1