V5 Year Of Manufacture

neils on wheels

When checking machine eligibility do scrutineers check the year of manufacture on a V5 document? There are clearly plenty of D14 engined 4 speed Bantams being ridden in Pre 65 trials, when those bikes were originally 1968 or later.

So how is this trick pulled off? By putting a later engine in an earlier donor bike, who's V5 is of the appropriate year?

I am not so concerned in this post about parts eligibility so much as ensuring the machine's documentation is in order.

No-one checks documentation, why would they?

4 speed Bantams have been used in pre65 events for the last 20 odd years, it's not an issue. Why now, out of interest?

I'm asking now as I'm thinking of building a bike around some bits and documents that I have and want to ride some road based events.

As to "why would they?" as a way to verify year of manufacture. Though of course I understand that this would be easily circumvented with engine swaps and transfer of frame numbers.

Don't worry about it, there is no problem with the 4 speed. Most events are pre70 anyway so even if it isn't on a pre65 reg number no-one is going to take any notice. There are two clubs, maybe three, that scrutineer the bikes and get fussy over what it is and none of them are anywhere near here so unless you're traveling a long way to ride, there's no issue

4 speed is no problem in local BMCA, other local classic clubs, Sammy Miller, British bike series etc. Even the pre65 Scottish take them if you're thinking of entering that

bantams eligibility in pre 65 trials as a point of discussion is lomg over. i started riding in 95 on a 3spd d3 before my entry was accepted for my first trial i had to show it had only 3 spd and the loop of frame under the engine was intact and unmolested. 4 spd were specifically named in the club rules as not eligible at this time and perhaps for another 15 years. no one elese in the club ran a bantam at the time as i recall, big bangers were still de riguer.

long before the turn of the century one elder statesman did start to ride a 4 spd, this coincided with the upturn in popularity of cubs and his entry was 'overlooked' even though he had some success although not class winning

fast forward to the second decade of this century and regualtions were amended as the sport evolved the class is now pre 70 and 4 spd bantams are perfectly acceptable and on balance rightly so

a v5 proves absolutely nothing other than the registered keeper of a vehicle ie the person responsible for paying the tax everything else on the document is open to intepretation or based on information provided.