Alpina Gas Tank Question

phillipmac

Does anyone know about how the gas tank mounts on a 71 Alpina. Specifically the end of the tank where the side panels are joined to the tank. My tank has some stress fractures in that area causing it to leak. Before I remount the tank I need to know exactly how it should mount. On my bike and what i suspect is the cause of the stress... the air box was not fully resting down in the cavity between the frame tubing. It was sticking up about a half an inch. I think the tank was partially resting on the airbox, and not fully seated on the frame, causing it to seat at a slight angle. I think this may have stressed the tank. I have since fitted the airbox so that it now is below the level of the frame. I am hoping this solves the problem. Anyone have any pictures or comments on this? Thanks!

Same as the Sherpa of the same era. One stud that it drops over at the front, ahead of the filler cap, two bolts at the rear, one either side at the back of the sidepanel. There should be a lug on the frame either side for it to bolt to.

It may help spread the loading to use strips of foam rubber along underneath the seat section where it bears against the frame tubes. I use the foam rubber strip that has self-adhesive along one side and is usually used for sealing doors to doorways. Also use the right thickness of packing under the tank section so that the seat part rests against the frame rails along the whole length

• Like 1