2002 Pro Output Shaft Seal

jadieki

Hi

Sort of new to this so here goes my first request for help. I have a 2002 pro 280, it is losing gearbox oil from behind the front sprocket which then ends up on the chain and then everywhere else (it does keep the chain well lubricated....... And the back wheel come to think of it).... Anyway, From the parts list I have decided it must be the output shaft seal and the two o rings. I have ordered these but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they will be here for the weekend. I am after some advice on changing the seal and o rings, I have taken the chain and sprocket off but I can't see an obvious way of getting the seal out. Is there a trick to this ? I don't want to risk damaging the gearbox casing so I thought I would ask for advice first.

Cheers

Hi, I did this seal on my Sherco and removed it by carefully drilling a small hole in the seal to take a small self tapping screw, screwed in the screw which pushed out the seal. I took the point off the screw first. cheers Taff

Hi

Sort of new to this so here goes my first request for help. I have a 2002 pro 280, it is losing gearbox oil from behind the front sprocket which then ends up on the chain and then everywhere else (it does keep the chain well lubricated....... And the back wheel come to think of it).... Anyway, From the parts list I have decided it must be the output shaft seal and the two o rings. I have ordered these but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they will be here for the weekend. I am after some advice on changing the seal and o rings, I have taken the chain and sprocket off but I can't see an obvious way of getting the seal out. Is there a trick to this ? I don't want to risk damaging the gearbox casing so I thought I would ask for advice first.

Cheers

A pro only takes 350 cc of oil. How much did you use?

Hi Lineaway

Not sure exactly how much oil was in I filled it up to half way up the sight glass, first problem trip out it had fallen though and there was oil all over the chain and rear wheel. At this point I assumed I had been a bit over enthusiastic when oiling the chain..and the gearbox oil had just 'settled'

Next time out it was much worse and it was obvious that there was a leak, the oil had gone from the sight glass and the bike ( and my foot ) were covered in oil

What are you thinking ? That there was too much oil in ? And it's coming out of the breather pipe

Hi Taffe

Good tip I will give that a try if it doesn't just fall out

I have done this job fairly recently on my 2002 pro.

There is a spacer that fits onto the splined output shaft.

With this spacer removed it gives plenty of room to get a small screw driver behind the seal and carefully pry it out.

The two o rings fit behind this spacer so when you take it out note which way they fit as one o ring is bigger than the other.

The Spacer also has a chamfered inner edge on the one side that the o rings seal against so again note which way around it goes.

Good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it's not as difficult as I had expected, eddies post is spot on for future reference Taff.

However, lineaway , you might be on to something, when I have got it back together there is oil coming out of the breather pipe when it's running. Maybe it wasn't the output shaft seal after all. After reading some posts it seems that the favourites are the crank seals or the bolt that holds the clutch plate on.

I don't know anything about either but I think I will start by putting the end of the breather pipe in some water and checking for bubbles, maybe the oil is just coming out as the breather pipe was pointing down.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi,

Just run it now. Normally I start it up and leave it ticking over until the fan starts to warm up.

As soon as I started it air was being push out of the breather pipe then oil with bubbles in. Then just oil. The oil had reached the top of the breather before the fan had come on so I switched the bike off. The breather was pointing straight up.

The oil was clean and clear.

This bike has become a bit of a project. I have had new water pump seal and impeller, new output shaft seals and I have just got it back from having new big end and little end bearings, new piston and barrel re plated along with gaskets and any other stuff needed when the engine is split. That was done professionally so should be good. Now I am wondering if getting all that done has uncovered a problem I didn't know about before. It starts and runs really well except for the breather pipe issue.

After reading some forum posts I might start by checking the clutch bolt has a hole in it, after that crankcase seals but I don't know what they are. Hopefully I won't be splitting the engine again as that's a bit beyond me so I will have to fork out more £££

Ok update. Just taken the clutch cover off and removed the bolt that holds the basket in place. It's just a normal Allen bolt there is no hole through the middle. Think I found the problem. Seems odd that these bolts would be replaced with the wrong one so often

When the pro first came out we left that bolt out for more flow. Plus we were always fixing the clutch, so it just made it easier.

Just as an addition as jadieki may not be aware: if the bolt is left out be sure to also take out the stepped washer underneath it. The bolt is drilled just to normalize the internal expansion/contraction volume changes and "flow" increase is not really an issue. I keep the washer/drilled bolt in my 02' Pro clutch hub just to stabilize the hub assembly but I see no problem leaving them out.

Jon

OK that explains it, leaving the bolt out and loads of clutch fixes explains why my 2002 has the wrong bolt in

Cheers Jon, I just went back and took the clutch out and the washer fell out. I have ordered a new bolt and washer.

It's odd how this problem didn't occur until I had the main bearings / piston / cylinder e.t.c. Sorted out I guess the engine was that bad before I never noticed.

I still don't really get why the bolt has to be drilled and what, if any, damage could be caused by not having the correct one. Anyhow new one on the way should be sorted by next weekend.

Unfortunately I laid the bike down right in the garage door way so the missus will be climbing over it all week.