Water In Gearbox And Other Problems

hrmad

Hi just a pointer running less oil will make the fuel mixture rich and running more oil will lean off the mixture so if you want to use less oil you should adjust your jets to suite plus different temperatures will affect jetting and running , the pilot jest screw is only going to richen or weaken the pilot jet off idle , you should ring beta uk to see what oil fuel ratio you should run with the jetting if its stock , plus two stroke engines don't like to be ticking over as you need to get the heat in to allow the pug to work correctly to burn the fuel off , a perfect air fuel mixture and right jetting should coulor the plug a biscuit brown and you know you are spot on . but I don't think you will be able to see that as the engines are never flat out . if it were a oily plug id say too much oil but your plug is sooty suggesting its too rich , id drop to the next two sizes smaller on the main jet and on the pilot jest and see what happens . I use rock air filter oil soak the filter squiz out the excess oil allow to dry for 24 hours and its all good and use the air filter cleaners as they do not melt the foam and get all the oil out. check the ignition timing is spot on as well could be slightly retarded

Hi burns,

Gone with a 66:1 mixture at the moment, I'd rather not risk a seized engine and this is recommendation I could find in the online manual. As for jetting, the standard in the beta manual said 150 main, we found a 140 on there when we took her apart. We also cleaned out all the jets, adjusted the float level tabs, put new reeds on there, a bp5es instead of a 6 and then made minor adjustments as mentioned to air/ fuel mix screw and idle. The bike is running much better after these changes, if the plug still fouls after these changes then it will be worth repacking the exhaust. If that fails, as you've said, changing the jets. Just need to run the bike for a bit and see how it goes. I'm sure more minor adjustments will be made in the future, hopefully when I get good enough at this trials business to need more power at the top end!

Another problem has surfaced today, front brake problem. Bled the brakes soon after buying the bike and was told there are new pads on there by the previous owner. Bike squeaks when the front brake is not engaged, braking is not progressive or very effective with the lever pulled right in. Also doesn't feel like there is enough pressure on the lever. Going to try to get the front wheel off the ground tomorrow to check for any binding, could just be dirt between the pads and disc.

Ok sounds good but hey seem to have leaned off the main jet . Rather they should have made the pilot jet smaller as your main jet only controles the fuel mixture at full throttle . I would check the needle hight as well to see if it has been dropped to try and lean off the fuel or lifted as some get confused where to put the E clip . I would set the main jet back to 150 as it was set up to run the oil mix at 66.1. Yha i would lift the wheel up to check for binding as well if it's not just rough the pads up as it could be glazed up

Thanks burns1989. The brakes weren't binding, but a friend and I took apart the front brake caliper anyway. One side the cylinders had seized, we removed them all and cleaned the inside of the calipers. Then took several hours trying to bleed the brakes, fluid was going through without a problem, and the brakes worked initially but under use became worse. Managed to bleed them properly, the front brake is working, but does fade under continuous pressure.

I'll keep practicing on it for now, but hopefully on friday we'll replace the pads (which looked sintered like road pads, too hard), replace the master cylinder and the throttle cable which is starting to look frayed at one end. Hopefully these niggles will get sorted before this Sunday, got my first trial :D

This thread is a good example of making sure you do your research and know what a good bike runs like first before buying, I've made a mistake paying what I did for the bike and not noticing these faults upon first inspection. Ah well, no regrets, the bike is getting there and I've learned a lot! Thanks to everyone for all their input

Don't worry we all get caught out no one knows every thing we only can learn from mistakes . I just recently bought a 06 rev 3 250 and missed a slight water leek which should have been picked up but is my fault for not taking a torch .but every one on here is verry helpfull so your not alone . Hope it runs sweet as a nut

Don't worry we all get caught out no one knows every thing we only can learn from mistakes . I just recently bought a 06 rev 3 250 and missed a slight water leek which should have been picked up but is my fault for not taking a torch .but every one on here is verry helpfull so your not alone . Hope it runs sweet as a nut

Sorry to hear that, I guess buying any bike used some adjustments should be expected. And yes, the bike is running much better, nicer to ride now. Just need a working front brake, haha! Hopefully will get the parts and get it sorted on Friday

The plug was black again this morning, lasted longer this time, worked fine again with a fresh plug. Sigh, an ongoing battle- It'll have to wait till next month if I get paid, haha!

With the help of a friend put a new throttle cable on there, new front brake pads and master cylinder, brakes much better, no longer squeaking and work as they should!

Exhaust packing is a possible fix. I use MX5 premix, might try Rock Oil instead- maybe it will make a difference. Beyond that is jetting.

The simplest thing to try would be to rev the bike now and again to get rid of un-burnt fuel, I'll try to remember to do this on the next outing.

hmmm I wonder if you have a crank seal gone or your statore could be going as this would cause a weak spark under load , my plug is 7 and il look at it tomorrow to see what its burning like .are you shaking the fuel properly to mix the oil up , how are you mixing the oil and fuel. and are you turning the choke off as soon as it starts and not ridding with it on , sorry for all the questions just trying to cover the basics

hmmm I wonder if you have a crank seal gone or your statore could be going as this would cause a weak spark under load , my plug is 7 and il look at it tomorrow to see what its burning like .are you shaking the fuel properly to mix the oil up , how are you mixing the oil and fuel. and are you turning the choke off as soon as it starts and not ridding with it on , sorry for all the questions just trying to cover the basics

I usually put 1L petrol in a milk carton, use a syringe to measure out the oil and then mix it in with the petrol- then immediately add it to the bike.

Definitely switching choke off, checked the choke too when we took apart the carb, working fine.

The bike is much better than it was, I'm happy with it for this Sunday, will just have to bring some spare plugs and a spanner if she bogs down.

Will try to sort out any niggles over the coming months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi have you had any luck yet with your bike

Hi Burns. Spark plugs are lasting longer, cleaning out the motor more frequently. Can't get the rear brake lever where I'd like it, slightly above the peg and difficult to cover. She's also stalling down hills with the clutch pulled in, I've just been giving her a little bit of throttle to try to keep her going, so might need to fiddle with the clutch take up. Need new foot pegs when I can afford it, they are a little rounded and sloping downwards. There is also a slight delay with the power sometimes, I noticed it when practising wheelies. You can give her some throttle, release the clutch and sometimes nothing happens for 5 seconds or so.

But at least it's running!

Ok sounds like you have still got a carb ration issue . Or a crank seal gone on the left side of the engine causing oiling up of the plug . I went out on my beta last week and Wass on it for 5 hours and it rode perfectly constantly all day . With it not responding when u try to wheeli sounds like it's bogging out and has no power antill it clears out the unburnt oil . Does it idle , or you could find the float hight is too high flooding the engine on the steep hill decent . Trick one to diagnose with out being there