Ready To Give Up On My 280Pro

aldobalducci

Hi. I have an 03 Pro that won't idle for anything. Had carb off three or four times and cleaned everything. The idle circuit appears clean and I can run wire thru ever jet and hole I can find. The mid and top range seem fine, but the idle is starving for gas. It doesn't race at all, when choke is on, it idles sweetly, but after letting off the throttle it winds down to where it should idle, but quits without even trying. If I snap the throttle right before it quits, I can keep it running, but it has a flat spot ( that is typical of not enough gas).

I have a vague recollection (It's been this way for a year) of the idle becoming less and less reliable, until finally it went away completely.

Could I be missing something in the idle circuit. Could an intake leak cause this problem but not display any other symptoms? Could a clogged pipe cause anything like this. Other than refusing to idle, it is asymtomatic of any other problem

I love the bike...it's amazing, but I'm ready to give up on it and go look for an old Yamaha..

I'll be grateful for any help you can provide. .

A 12 year old Pro, first thing I would do is pull off the mag cover. Grab the flywheel and move it vertically for play. Any play would suggest mains and seals. Also are the vents to the carb clear and where do the hoses route to.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Yikes! Can you help me understand how mains and seals would affect the idle but (apparently) not anything else? I checked the play I. The crank when I got it two years ago and there was no radial play, but more axial than I'm used to seeing on my

While I was going thru other posts, I thought if a few more details:

I'm in the Midwest USA, and bought it from someone also in the Midwest.

When I first got it, it ran much better. ( I wouldn't say the idle was spot on, but it was close) I'm a little paranoid to go to 100:1 mix and I (used to) ride it to work (@3 miles) , so I run it at about 80:1. When I ride it at higher RPM for any length of time, it smokes a lot. I chalked it up to the fact that its usually run at low rpm, but I retrospect, probably points to mains and seals.

Thanks for your insight.

1 Idea

Check the floats in case they have fuel in them. This has the effect of drowning the bike but gets better as you open the throttle and let more air in.

Also loads of standard stuff like air filter, spark plug etc. Mine started to be a bitch to start before eventually finding a .8 plug gap which should have been my first check.

Keep going the answer is there somewhere.

Thanks for all your help.

Update:

No evidence of radial play in crank

Air needle adjustment makes no difference

Slide height (raised all the way with screw) it'll stay running, but it's like having the throttle open 1/4.

I like the idea of the ultrasonic. I think that'll be my next move.

Will update next week.

Thanks again all

• 3 weeks later...

OK...

I finally got to the 280 this weekend and soaked the carb body 24 hours in carb cleaner and then blasted it with about 120psi air. It runs like a champ. Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. (1st carb I ever had to do like that. I think I'll do 'em all that way from now on. Way better than trying to poke wires thru. ).