1977 Sherpa 350 Engine Info ?

stanley

I am in the process of restoring my 77 350 Sherpa I am at the rolling chassis stage and now checking the motor over, before I started the project I rode the bike and all vital signs were good ie: gearbox selecting as normal clutch responding as normal engine crisp and responsive, I have taken ths cylinder head off and decoked the head and piston crown. I noticed there is no head gasket is this normal on my model ? also stamped on the cylinder close to the overlap joint is 159 R my engine No, is JM-19100771

the bore is unmarked with a std. Mahle piston any help gratefully received Stanley

This engine does not use a head gasket. The 159 denotes model 159. My parts book shows that the m 159 to 191 models used the same liner. So all is correct with yours. If the engine is being somewhat disassembled now is a good time to do cylinder base gasket , manifold gasket and crank seals. All easy to replace and in doing do will insure a good running engine .

Steve

• Like 1