Oil Weight For Evo 4T

tman427

I have a Beta 300 Evo 4t. Great bike. Manual says to run 15w-50 weight syn oil. Tough to get most of the time.

I can get 20w-50 or 10w-40, motorcycle based oil fro 4ts ...which would work best with the clutch?

I am currently using BelRay 4t Thumper racing 10w-50...not liking the clutch action with this.

Anyone use Castor oil for motorcycles? Mobile 1 for motorcycles?

Many thanks,

Tom

Oil weight (viscosity) is set by the manufacturer engineers and is influenced by several factors with one being engine tolerances.

Ambient temps and oil system pressures verses flow all effect the required viscosity.

The 2012/2103 from memory spec'd a 15w-50 BUT my 2014 specs 10w-50... they also want a full synth.

It also spec's Panolin Oils which I was able to get in 10w-50 synthetic here is Australia.

It looks like this supply chain will dry up and once my bottle is empty I'lll use another brand.

Leading this race (pun intended) is Motul as they have a 10w-50 in full synth. Hope the clutch stays the same as my wife is used to the clutch action on the Panolin.

I'm loathe to move away from the manufacturer specified viscosity in any engine unless at extremes of climate, as in, I'd run a 5w-40, 5w-50 in cold winters and run a 15w-50, 20w-50 in our 40 deg C summers.

You may also be able to look at Motorex? The Motorex is spec'd in my wife's KTM which runs 11,000 rpm and has a massive 49 hp for a single cylinder 373cc. I'm using a 15w-50 in that as spec'd by KTM. Only in a semi-synth though and changed shorter than spec'd intervals.

I change the oil and filter in the Beta every 20 hrs on the hour meter not guessed.

I'm paying $104 per 5 litre bottle for Panolin and about $95 for the Motul.

Castor oil is for 2 stroke cylinder lubrication it will not have the shear protection when shearing forces from the gearbox kill it really quick. Its mainly the gear shear that drops oils out of viscosity.

The Penrite full synth I use in my Jackpot (15w-50) is "shear free" for the change interval. Has a very high zinc level (ZDDP) as anti-wear not friction modifiers so exceeds JASO MA2 and is a motorcycle oil. I doubt you'll see Penrite outside of OZ?

Mags

Edited by mags

Oil weight (viscosity) is set by the manufacturer engineers and is influenced by several factors with one being engine tolerances.

Ambient temps and oil system pressures verses flow all effect the required viscosity.

The 2012/2103 from memory spec'd a 15w-50 BUT my 2014 specs 10w-50... they also want a full synth.

It also spec's Panolin Oils which I was able to get in 10w-50 synthetic here is Australia.

It looks like this supply chain will dry up and once my bottle is empty I'lll use another brand.

Leading this race (pun intended) is Motul as they have a 10w-50 in full synth. Hope the clutch stays the same as my wife is used to the clutch action on the Panolin.

I'm loathe to move away from the manufacturer specified viscosity in any engine unless at extremes of climate, as in, I'd run a 5w-40, 5w-50 in cold winters and run a 15w-50, 20w-50 in our 40 deg C summers.

You may also be able to look at Motorex? The Motorex is spec'd in my wife's KTM which runs 11,000 rpm and has a massive 49 hp for a single cylinder 373cc. I'm using a 15w-50 in that as spec'd by KTM. Only in a semi-synth though and changed shorter than spec'd intervals.

I change the oil and filter in the Beta every 20 hrs on the hour meter not guessed.

I'm paying $104 per 5 litre bottle for Panolin and about $95 for the Motul.

Castor oil is for 2 stroke cylinder lubrication it will not have the shear protection when shearing forces from the gearbox kill it really quick. Its mainly the gear shear that drops oils out of viscosity.

The Penrite full synth I use in my Jackpot (15w-50) is "shear free" for the change interval. Has a very high zinc level (ZDDP) as anti-wear not friction modifiers so exceeds JASO MA2 and is a motorcycle oil. I doubt you'll see Penrite outside of OZ?

Mags

Thanks Mags....I may just stay with the 10w-50 full synth as suggested...

See if you can locate Some Redline oil products , I've got a buddy that's a Beta Dealer and he swears by it , along with a few of my other riding buds .

http://www.redlineoil.com/Default.aspx

I've been using their oil in my Fantic's for a while now and really like the clutch action :)

Good stuff . :)

Glenn

Thanks Glen...most of the dealers are kind of far for me to travel.

Unless you are going to ride it hard in high temperatures any fully synthetic 10w-40, 5w-40 or even 0w-40 should be OK, especially something like Mobil 1 for motorcycles. Choose a motorcycle grade or one that is specified as suitable for wet clutches, some oils are not.

As already posted castor oil not good for gears, or anything else in a trials 4 stroke.