Cota 247

allyboy

Hi Guys

Today I had a great time riding the 247 that I bought a couple of weeks ago, I was at the excellent Bob MacGregor trials academy that is about twenty mins from my house.

The bike was great and a lot of fun even for a first timer to the sport. Sadly after three hours the engine seized and left me with a long push back to the car park. It could have been worse because I was on a straight and level bit and not half way up a bank!

I havent dealt with this before so any advice will be appreciated as usual..

The engine was very smokey and this didnt go away which I did expect after an hour or so. I wondered if the gearbox oil was being drawn through the seals? But then why seize if there was plenty of oil in the mixture.

Help

Cheers

Ally

If bike had not been used for a while before you bought it, mains or big end could have rusted, they then seize after a few hours use.

What 2t mix and oil were you using@

I would take primary chain case off first to try to find out if its gearbox or engine that has seized, then go on from there.

Hi

I have ruled out the piston and rings, I had wanted to get a look in there anyway so took the time to do this today, all in very good condition not much coke build up and no scoring noticable.

I will take the primary off next and see what moves and what doesnt. I cant picture how the kickstart/clutch arrangement works

Although I had dipped the gearbox oil and it looked pretty high I should have drained it and started from scratch I should have known better and am a bit p****d off with myself really Also I should have not gone back out for the last half hour it was pushing it doing three hours on an unknown bike.

It does however give me the chance to to a refurb to all the bits I have removed and fix up the knackered tank/seat cover.

Cheers Ally

I now have another problem, I was all set to go red for the tank to keep it the same as the original but I saw the black 247 with the silver frame and mudguards Wow it looks amazing, I dont know which way to go now. I love the black and chrome, my BSA has that look, I also love the little 123 in its red. Its a tough one.

Back in the mid 70's I had my Montesa tank sprayed Metallic Blue, sure made it stand out from the crowd in the parked bikes whilst we were inspecting the sections.

Couple of poor pictures posted below.

Have seen some other colour tanks but Yamanx's black is pretty good.

post-18607-0-86550600-1412943871_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers John

I know its not the piston or barrel so the answer lies inside the cases. I will get onto this at some point.

I got some base cylinder gaskets off ebay today so if you ever need one give me a txt.

I dd have an amazing day on the bike before it seized.

Cheers Ally

Hi

I have got the engine out the frame and have the screws out of the side case that houses the clutch, I am having trouble getting the case apart? is there a special technique or am I just being a bit too gentle. I have been tapping a narrow blade into the seam and at the front there looks like a bump for a locating dowl that has a wider gap perhaps for levering the case off? any advice appreciated.

THANKS Ally

So

I split the case from the clutch and had a look. Still seized and solid

I split the generator case and still seized and solid.

I didnt know what to do next and then spotted a triangle of black rubber wedged between the flywheel and the housing just beside the kickstart splines it was well and truly wedged solid and no amount of pulling would free it. About 4mm thick and 40mm x 20mm it looks like a bit of tyre sidewall.

i put a new blade in the stanley and trimmed off the rubber then started slicing down into the narrow clearance between the flywheel and housing. it took a while but eventually the flywheel was free!!!

This of course means that there was no mechanical failure in the engine and I can start to put it back together.

CD27BA04-979B-4644-85B5-9E85E112DEFF_zps

C80B345A-DDAF-412A-AEDA-C1D9231CED8F_zps

Is this a part that should be in the engine or some random thing? I dont know how it would have gotten in

Good news though I want to clean up the rings as they seem a bit sticky and the cases could do with a tidy up.

I have discovered a yellow wire that is not connected, is this for the lights if fitted?

Cheers

Ally

Hi Ally

If you have a flywheel puller, I would remove the flywheel just to check where the rubber pad has come from?

I would suspect that it's been stuck inside the casing or cover to waterproof a hole or crack in one of the castings and has come loose and wedged itself causing the siezure!

The yellow wire should come off the lighting coil, if there are no lights fitted just make sure it's insulated well.

Good news that it's not motor damage though, you could have made Johns day by buying his newly rebuilt 247 off of him...