Bsa C15 Modern Carbs

tri2000

Hi

I'm in the process of finishing off building A C15 trials bike with later side points engine. Nearly finished need to get a new Carb as I haven't got one knocking around.Money is tight and not over keen on Amal concentric Carb and was wondering what modern Carbs people had tried and what experiences people had?

Looking to run a 24mm Carb on an extended in let manifold.There seems to be a lot of pattern/copy Carbs on ebay very Cheap wonder if they are the usual China's quality or are they any good? Any thoughts appreciated.

You should be able to get a carb off an old Honda XL 175 or 250 or Kawasaki 200 from a breakers for next to nothing. 24mm seems quite large, you might get plenty of power with something much smaller. I have a carb off a 125 honda, its only about 14mm yet the bike revved quite highly.

24mm is too big when the inlet tract is only 22mm. Won't it disrupt gas flow when it hits the 'step' of the smaller inlet? May affect how well it runs at low revs. They work fine with a 22mm.

Your bike and up to you what you fit obviously, but some clubs won't like a modern carb - depends where you ride.

The 22mm Amal Premier concentric with the improved pilot circuit works very well, but a bit more than the price of a copy.

Thanks for your replies. I would agree that normally 22mm Carb would be better but the inlet port has been opened up to 24mm in the past so rather than have to get another head was hoping to use a 24mm Carb on a longer inlet manifold.

I've used chinese carbs, but not on a trials bike. Only issue I had was jet tolerances were poor so it's best to use genuine ones when rejetting to suit a motor. Also some copies are better quality than others so it can be a bit of a gamble.

why would you not want to spend 107 quid on a brand new thing set up with the right jets ready to fit.. and available next day?

with your cheap copy and no idea of jet sizes you ll be chasing shadows every time you ride. various internet auction sites are full of amal carbs from a fiver although the 624 is a rare beast.. good luck