Why Aren't Toni Bou & Dougie Lampkin More Popular ?

atomant

Most of you must have seen the new video by Danny MacAskill - The Ridge - so in just a week, it has over 11 Million views on YouTube and rising fast. Yet I have looked around YouTube and cannot find even 1 video of either Toni or Dougie that has made even a million views ...

Dougie Lampkin - Dougie Does Red Bull Racing 786,000 views is the largest one I could find.. and its 1 years old - Professionally done and connected with F1..

Toni Bou - The Best of Toni Bou 2007 - 986,000 views and that's been up since 2008

So why is this I wonder? I have my views but it would be great to have an open discussion about it ....

Disclaimer : I didn't look too hard on YouTube and there may be others which have more views but the ones above make my point.

Edited by atomant

Far more people have easy access to cycles than to trials motorcycles.

The are pictures and details of DM in many high street cycle stores and windows, there are virtually no trials dealers where shoppers or large numbers of people will see them. Most trials dealers will not have anything on display about DL or TB.

The Ridge (Danny MacAskill) is an excellent production. Just the scenery alone could make non-riders come away pleased. Then there is the emotional music. Then the phenomenon that is Danny M.

Grab Doug or Tony and put effort into the production through location, backing track and careful editing and I think the hits may go substantially up.

There is the one he does called "Industrial" or something like that?... and it showcases his skills much more than in The Ridge. He rides his bike down a rope for a start and jumps railway tracks from track to track with the tyres never falling off the rails.

Having been on two wheels (motorised) for decades I find the vids extremely entertaining and awe inspiring. As would most people at TC. Even my 15 yr old daughter loves sitting with her dad for a good youtube session on the big screen watching MacAskill, Bou, Raga, Bristow and the like.

Dougie would be pretty famous in the British Isles... as would Bou in Europe??? Surely?

Does Danny M ride a trials motorcycle at all? I swear in The Ridge he says, " I often wondered if I could ride my motorbike along the ridge".

Mags

• Like 1

Money! From the makers to the clubs everthing is so marginal that there's nothing left to promote the sport.

I've said it many times trials is like a secret society,we travel about to hidden locations with bikes in the van how is anyone going to find out about it?

There is plenty people want to ride but they will never find out about trials.

We need promotion and it takes money.

Great example of what I am talking about - Toni Bou at the Nou Camp !! If there is a place that would get a lot of views then surely it's here... but the video has just 27,000 views.. .. :dunce: but why?... why doesn't the awesome skills of Toni Bou excite people?

Edited by atomant
  • Like 1

It may be that everyone can relate to a bicycle and a very simple bike at that... "looks" like a kids bike no suspension no bells or whistles but he brings it to life it is like magic!!!

People can't relate to a trials bike it has a motor lots of pedals and levers they have seen people jump the length of a football field on a dirt bike what is the big deal about riding 6 ft up a tree? hard to relate to something you have never tried or appreciate how difficult it is. When I put on shows I usually let people come and try to balance the bike it is funny how many people just figure the bike would just balance itself (they wouldn't think that about a bicycle). The general public doesn't see riding a motorcycle as exercise after all the bike does all the work right? If you can't relate to it its pretty tough to appreciate it.

• Like 2

I should also note that it doesn't seem to matter if I bring in a top level rider for a show or a couple novice riders the general public seems to enjoy both. My sense is having an old fella try to hop over a log and do a few tight turns with a possible dab or 2 is something people can relate to and might actually see themselves doing compared to seeing somebody do a 8 ft splatter onto an obstacle... 2 very different shows I keep trying different things to raise interest in the local area but it is really tough.

• Like 2

This possibly has something to do with it ?

COOL

Trial-Entrevista-reportaje-con_542499218

UN-COOL

IMG_3667.jpg

This outfit simply doesn't relate to people - even in trials itself, only a few people wear it. - For the videos, the look of the rider needs to change and become more urban, more earthy. Something that people can relate to maybe?

Edited by atomant
  • Like 1

Money! From the makers to the clubs everthing is so marginal that there's nothing left to promote the sport.

Honda have sponsored Toni's videos - Redbull have sponsored Dougies videos -- They aren't short of a few bob.. and yet the videos haven't done anything in viewing figures.. Its not about money...

Even though se lucas's mother hadn't heard of bicycle trials I'm pretty sure she knows what a bicycle is and more than likely has one.

I don't suppose she has a 250 Gas gas in the back shed or would recognize one if it ran her down .

Atomant,,yes Honda and Red Bull are big money,but who's going to watch something they don't even know exists?

• Like 1