2002 Gg Txt280 Pro

zzman

Hello All, I am relatively new here and I would appreciate your input. I just purchased a 2002 TXT 280 Pro that appears to have had little use over its life. From my research of the past posts, it looks like this specific bike has had high failure rates of the trans, clutch and you need to start it correctly to prevent failures. With the small trans oil capacity I need to change oil more very often.

We purchased the bike for a very good price as it was not running and needs tires. I cleaned the carb and changed fluids over the weekend. It started up with little effort and it is a very nice running bike. The old trans oil looked good and the clutch seems to work just fine. The only thing I notice is a little gear noise shifting between 3rd and 4th, until the 4th gear is fully engaged. I suspect that we should always use the clutch, not shift under high throttle for this gear change due to the large ratio difference.

So my question is should I dump this bike and run or ride it and take a chance? Is the reality of the situation that it will fail or it might fail? If I do run into the trans failures are the replacement parts going to fix the problem going forward or will this be an ongoing issue? I can do the work myself, but can someone give me an idea of the expected parts costs for the potential failures for this bike.

I do not have any long term history other than the previous owner who had it for 7 years and never had issues with the bike.

Thank you for your time and input.

Hi, welcome. A you obviously know the 2002 (first) pro arent know for reliability and some adjustments were made in the later models. And although the pro engine is a great engine to ride, it does (still) have points you need to look after (more than normal bikes imo).

Since you allready bought it, i would say test it and ride it like its supposed to. You can use the search on this topic to find out the specific problems with the first model range, but preventing would cost a lot i guess. Newer engine do break down sometimes aswel. Dont ride it if you dont want to spend money from time to time to maintain and repair the engine...

For some parts it they break you can only buy the updated version, so that wont be a problem (only sometimes you need to replace more bit probably to make it fit like the newer kickstart axle and gear)

Some general inspections you should do on every pro from time to time, e.g.:

Engine oil for water (waterpump leak/shaft wear), and replace of coarse quite often

Play on suspension (rear link system)

Clutch on wear, and check bearings and clutchfinger distance (from clutch to fingers) and see if it is positioned well

Kickstarter system does break down (especially when used wrongly)

Edited by crazybond700

You mentioned rear suspension play, at what point do you need to go ahead and replace the works, bearings and seals. I have an 04 300 Raga that has about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of play when yo go to pick it up off the stand. I have heard that some movement is normal but don't know what is considered excessive.

Thanks, Craig.

Thank you all for the great information. I did some additional searching and found general comments on reliability but I did not find too many details on specific failures. What is a reasonable price for this bike in good condition?

If you are new to trials I recommend putting new gearbox fluid in it, filling up the fuel tank, finding a few other trials riders and go have fun. The bike you have is a fine machine to learn the sport. Don't worry about parts that are not broken yet. You will fall over and the bike will get scratched. Pick it up, smile and try again. When you figure out how to ride then go get a new bike.

I have been riding off road for 35 years and I pretend to ride trials on our four GasGas enduro bikes and the 2006 Sherco 2.9 I purchased earlier this year. I truly love to ride slow and technically challenging terrain. My son and I had a blast playing follow the leader between the Sherco and TXT last weekend! While I hope we will enter some tials events I am sure we will spend more time using both the Sherco and GG TXT PRO as fun limtied range trail bikes. My 14 yrs old son wants to use either of the trials bikes in an upcoming family enduro that has three mild, dry, 10 mile loops through the trees. Gas will likley be an issue but we did get the Hebo numberplate extra tank with the 280 that should get us through and if not I can share gas with him. This is not the intended purpose for a trials bike but it is probably how we will use it from time to time.

From what you said, the bike should be fine. All trials bikes make gear noise. Not to worry unless they get super loud.

The rear suspension should not have more than 1/4" of free play at the rear wheel. Dogbone bearings and shock bearings do wear and need regular lubrication and rust if they don't get it.

Ride and enjoy it.

02 280 pro was my first of many Gassers.Bought bike when it was six months old from a dealer but did wonder why previous owner got rid of it.Anyway bike was ridden at least twice weekly for six years in competition and practice.Yes bike had a few issues mainly brakes and clutch but nothing that couldn't be sorted at home.All other probs I had were down to rider error.My current Gasser 2011 still has a few minor issues like any other make but as long as you keep on top of maintenance, just enjoy it.

You mentioned rear suspension play, at what point do you need to go ahead and replace the works, bearings and seals. I have an 04 300 Raga that has about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of play when yo go to pick it up off the stand. I have heard that some movement is normal but don't know what is considered excessive.

Thanks, Craig.

Yeah, it most of the time has some yeah, also because the play can be caused by multiple bearings. (arms both arms or in the shock absorber under part)

I try to keep track of the play, when it becomes worse its time to replace I quess. I do them from time to time, when I am busy with the bike and feel like having to replace them, but I cant really tell an exaxt number or something.

Is it likely that the 02 Pro models were under a microscope because they were new / different and a few issues seemed like a big deal compared to the non Pro models that were super reliable?

Good observation. The previous design had 10 years od refinement. The new model was a significant redesign with some "teething" issues like most new designs experience. Most frequent issues were with clutch and transmission. The previous model had a built in fail point in the shifter mechanism that protected the gearbox and was a pretty easy fix. Without that, the new design experienced more transmission problems from people using the shift lever to try to move large ricks and obstacles.

So it might make sense to drill some small holes in the shifter to creat the weak link in an effort to save the expensive parts inside the trans? My father did this on his Bultaco bikes in the early 1970s.