2002 Gg Txt280 Pro

zzman

The shifter already bends easily. The biggest problem with the `02 was the shift drum was very weak. If this has not been replaced your son riding an Enduro will cure that problem. It will crack as it has very little metal in the original. All the upgrade parts will fix most problems. While running it is a fine bike. It is the most worked on motor (splitting the cases) than any modern motorcycle that I know of.

The other issues are the clutch should have been updated and the same for the kick starter shaft. The shift shaft also has an updated part. The clutch cover should also be updated. http://www.trialspartsusa.com/racing-parts.html

You really should find out from the previous owner if any of these were replaced.

Thank you for the great details! I purchased from the 2nd owner and he rode it a few times a year as a trail bike. He claimed he never had a problem with it. He did not have any details from the original owner other than to run the GM Auto Trac II oil in the trans. I will try to track down the bike from the VIN through the shops in the area. I might get lucky and see if there is some history on the bike.

I always shift any Trials bike gently and with the clutch,they don't make light weight bikes out of Heavy-Duty parts! Once in gear you can let it rip,just don't slam gears like a MX bike.

Danville,IL has some good trials people to know,there will be a event there likely next spring,either come ride the Novice line or sign up to score,you can learn ALOT punching scores by watching the riders(and watch the rider,not the bike so much)

I informed both boys that this bike needs to be shifted with extreme care. I believe we will enter a trials event in the spring.Thank you all! I really appreciated the detailed information and suggestions.

There was huge debate and warnings about the Auto Trac 2 GM oil, Over seas fellas said they caused the clutch plates to swell? I never saw that problem, had the bike at least 4 years, this was back when my family, had my 08 and 10 ragas... we since then, switched to Yamalube (semi synthetic) 0-20 or 5-30, my friend is using mobil1 same viscosity synthetic I think he said. I rode his bike a bit, feels about same on clutch as far as I am concerned.

Plus they are cheaper than autotrac2, unless you can get it cheaper than normal people? But, just knowing, and maybe considering it, Might save a problem later, but who really knows. as I said I never saw/experienced the problem that I know of?

Swelling (fiber) plates, will make the clutch harder to pull over time as it gets out of "spec" just FYI. hard to know it is harder than usual, until you try another bike's of the general era (06 or newer) clutch that is still in spec and works nice.

THe 2013 raga model we have, with newer brand clutch master cylinder is harder to pull (new) than my 12raga, but just so slightly, so just all FYI...

Edited by sting32

The previous owner said he ran the Auto Trac 2 for the 5 years he owned it so I think I am safe with it. I hear it is a very good oil. I paid $8.90 for a liter. I rode it today for a bit and it is really a nice bike!