Rev3 Carb.

stuessenhigh

Just thinking out loud...not something I'm gonna do yet, 'cause mines OK...

BUT..

seems like quite a few people experience niggling problems with their Beta mikuni carbs...(which I know before anyone gets upset) can be sorted out....

anyway..my point is...it seems on many other bikes like Gas Gas Sherco etc, people switch to a different carb alltogether.

Never really heard of anyone doing it on a Rev3....and so I was just wondering why...just curious??...

yes probably mindless curiousity..but there you go...any comments will be interesting to me at least :D:lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu - to my demented mind the problem may not be the carb so much as it could be the weird angle at which the carb mounts. I'm guessing that the carb mount angle was forced by the cylinder induction point, the exhaust center muffler, and the limited airbox space. It looks like once they had those three constraints in place the location and angle of the carburetor was essentially forced to be what it is.

The VM26 is a bulletproof little carb and, if it was mounted with the float bowl in a more level attitude, my guess is that we would have very few carb issues.

Good topic... just my 2 centavos...

Mmmm...cheers clarkp...I;m pleased you think its a good topic...personally I think so too!!!! :D

I hope the topic stays clear of "how to fix it" etc...since we all know there are plenty of opinions on that....I'm mostly just curious, like I said, why owners of the 'other' bikes sometimes use alternative carbs altogether, and Beta owners dont tend too.

keep the ideas coming folks :lol:

Nice one Stu, I wonder why so many bikes have problems and as many bikes don't have an issue, kinda knocks the angle issue into a cocked hat!

The only flaw on a very good bike :D

My old 01 250 was spot on. no leaking at all, my 02 bike is being a right pain, I can park mine up, switch the engine off and watch the petrol flowing out of the floatbowl overflow tube, I'm now thinking the float needle valve must not be seating properly I'm going to have a session on it this Sunday to try and sort out my leaking floatbowl once and for all...

Edited by Marky G

I wonder if the factory bikes suffer from the same problems and if not, how it was overcome? What's that float bowl extension all about? Maybe to allow the float height to be set low enough to prevent the overflow/flooding problems but still maintain a reliable supply of fuel...? Has anyone tried one?

PA, the pumper carb idea is interesting. It was a common mod on Suzuki DR-Z trail bikes (which were supplied with a CV carb as standard) and allegedly improved the fuelling immensely. Never tried it on mine, though.

I might drop an email to Allen's Performance to see if they have any thoughts on the issue...

Had some interesting chats about that float bowl extension thing neonsurge,,with someone in the know..who reckoned it only really made a big difference when doing huge splats and the like, on the bike.....hence I didnt get one!!!!!...mind you...a carb that would run upside down might be REALLY usefull to me! :lol:

One thing that got me really thinking about this...(and yes i'll repeat myself again)..is not necessarily to chat about any problems there might be with the standard carb,....but if anyone had tried a different one.

Mostly 'cause a mate of mine just put a Keihin on his Sherco, and the difference in performance alone is amazing.

If it was the same with a Beta...(and ...ahem..going off topic,..it DIDNT dribble) then I might be tempted to give one a try :):D

Hi Neon and others

I know that one of our Expert riders here in Queensland experimented with a Keihin with a flat slide on a 04 270 Rev3 and they had commented it was a marked improvement in performance. Don't quite know all the story but can find out or get the Mike to post his comments if anyones interested.

Apparently, it is a bitch to get at the air /fuel miixture screw on the Keihen when fitted to the Betas. Probably why no ones mucked around with it :D

From past experience, once the float is setup - no more leaks.

Kal

Stu,

Kal sent an email.........

Mitch Willcocks fitted a Keihin PWK 28 to his 04 Beta. Took the carb off his old Sherco and bolted it onto the Beta. Worked a treat!

He was experimenting and trying to get a smoother power especially off the bottom end. Had ridden Sherco all his riding career and found it difficult adjusting to the Beta power delivery.

He was very happy with the Keihin and said that it also gave the bike more power as well as a much smoother delivery, bonus was no more leaky carb. Only down side is that the idle and mixture adjustments are on the wrong side!

Mitch is currently riding in the UK on a 05 Beta set up as standard as he felt it was too much trouble to mess about with it over there.

Turned out Mitch was right about the power as I had the bike tested on a dyno with both carbs and even the mechanic couldn't believe the Keihin delivered about 10 percent more H.P!

So if you find a Keihin PWK 28 with adjustments on the right side for a beta let me know as I would like to purchase one.

Regards Mike Willcocks

Australia