Model 10 Parts Suppliers?

fish06

It all depends on whether you want to restore it to ride or put it back to the original.

Bultaco UK will get your bike going for sure and as the previous post mentions it is well worth giving them a ring. When restoring a Bultaco I will always call them first and then widen the search. I have restored a few model 10s over the years and must admit that tracking the parts down is all part of the fun.

What parts do you need?

Can you post any photos?, it would be nice to see what you are starting with.

A model 10! that's cool, looking forward to repair / rebuild of this very first model.

As I have heard so far parts aren't as easy to get for this model as for most later models due to the lower production run, the age and fewer survivors. I would too ask Hugh Bultaco in the US because he was the Importer for Bultaco to the USA/America and Orlando Calonder in Switzerland, he was the main importer for Europe on the mainland. Both are still in business. As I know the importer for the Sherpa model 10 was back then the Rickmann's in the UK, might be a possible source for parts too.

Edited by pschrauber

As I know the importer for the Sherpa model 10 was back then the Rickmann's in the UK, might be a possible source for parts too.

I would suspect that Rickman's would not be able to help as I believe they would have passed on stock to Commerfords when the importer rights changed and they have also changed ownership and location a few times since they were official importers. But as I have never spoken to them what do I know!

Model 10 spares availability dependends on what you are looking for. Quite a few parts were common to other models so can be found with a bit of a search. Believe it or not the frame is not far different from the Mk 1 Matador. Piston and con rod for example not a big issue as common other models but try finding a replacement barrel! New exhausts are being made in Spain. Forget trying to get IRZ carb spares but an alternative carb is a good option. The biggest problm is the 4 speed gearbox. Some gearbox parts are common to other models but the ratio's were unique to this model hence the rarity of some gearbox parts.

I do know of a spare M10 engine in Ipswich but the owner will not part with it and I do not blaim him as it is a source of spares for his complete bike and an M10 engine came up on Ebay about a year ago and sold for over £800

For those who have not ridden one of these bikes the model 10 is quite diffferent from later Bultaco's. The engine was based on a motocross or scramble lump which was intern based on a road bike engine. The bottom line is that you have to rev it hard to get the best out of it and for myself who ride mainly a model 80 and a model 199 this takes a bit of getting used to. Probably out classed these days by tricked Bantams and Cubs but a shame we do not see more out being ridden.

I live in East Anglia and have been trying to get the championship rules changed for quite a few years. They run a pre 70 championship but to compete in this class the bike has to be of British origin so the M10 not eligable for a Pre 70 championship. Never mind it will not be many years before the Dinasaws that make up the comittee of the Eastern Centre ACU will be all dead and I can try again!

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock