Old Bultaco

jlp

Thanks Model80,

No worries, happens me all the time!  It'll turn up when you're not looking for it.

Work on the bike is kind of intermittent at the mo between trying to keep the grass cut and keeping the jungle at bay!

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

Larry2.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

Just got a quote for chroming levers, handlebars etc. A bit eye watering! I think I'll go with some new stuff instead which will work out cheaper.

It'll be the new year before I put that in train at this stage.

Happy Christmas all. Thanks for the help during the year.

Larry 2.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Things have been at a standstill for a good while due to illness. But I have started to work on the old Model 10 once again. Ordered a bunch of spares from Inmotion and managed to obtain a rear brake plate on Ebay all the way from Utah! The old one was badly broken.

Anyway, a question, how the bloody hell does one compress the rings to get the piston into the bore? Don't tell me I have to get a ring compressor please!!

I await guidance!

Larry 2.

Get a shet of thin stainless steel that is a bit longer in length then the bore of or the length of the circle of the piston.

Wrap the sheet around and thigtening it with a hose clamp for example so the rings get compressed in the groove of the piston.

Now you can place the piaton with the wrapped steel sheet to the bottom of the cylinder and push the piston through the stainless steel compression in the cylinder.

Make shure to use some oil and make sure to pushthe piston in the exact right position inside the cylinder. 

Also make sure when mounting the thin steel sheet that the rings are too sitting in the right position.

• Like 2

Thanks guys,

There's a couple of options re. piston which I will try.

Regards chroming, I decided to purchase some new parts ( handlebars, Levers) and will refurbish some other stuff.

I have this notion particularly about old cars and in this case, bikes, that there should be some evidence of a past life so I tend to leave some knocks and dinks as a sign of that. I don't seek perfection because if one wants that, just buy a new machine. So I want my machinery to be just like me, scarred mentally and physically!

Larry 2. 

• Like 4