Old Bultaco

jlp

I have stripped off all the paint off and rubbed down the frame and cannot find a number anywhere. I also checked the punch marks I mentioned before and they don't obscure any numbers as they are much smaller than I think the numbers would be. Is this usual? I attach some pics.

I presume soda blasting is the best option to clean engine and wheels.

I wonder what to do about the spokes. If I replace the lot I have no idea how to go about it except to remove and replace one at a time. Any pointers?

As regards the third gear cog I don't seem to be able to estimate 29 teeth. Are there different sizes?

Larry.

I think I may have done something with the first part of this post so you may need a magnifying glass to read it!

post-20650-0-38698300-1417041584_thumb.jpg

post-20650-0-13140400-1417041651_thumb.jpg

post-20650-0-79250500-1417041683_thumb.jpg

post-20650-0-59607700-1417041728_thumb.jpg

I have stripped off all the paint off and rubbed down the frame and cannot find a number anywhere. I also checked the punch marks I mentioned before and they don't obscure any numbers as they are much smaller than I think the numbers would be. Is this usual? I attach some pics.

I presume soda blasting is the best option to clean engine and wheels.

I wonder what to do about the spokes. If I replace the lot I have no idea how to go about it except to remove and replace one at a time. Any pointers?

As regards the third gear cog I don't seem to be able to estimate 29 teeth. Are there different sizes?

Larry.

I think I may have done something with the first part of this post so you may need a magnifying glass to read it!

I will have a look to see if I have a gear , I have counted twice and seem to get 28 teeth . ive a bit of 4 speed stuff and will probably have a gear

• Like 1

Ok, did what Steve said and it comes out at 27 teeth.

Bult360, the diameter is 58mm and width is 9mm according to my electronic calipers which doesn't have a battery! So I'm going on the visual scale but I think it's pretty spot on.

• Like 1

Guys,

Any views on the spokes. There is one loose one on the rear and a few pretty loose on the front and some missing. would it be better to replace all? I remember being told years ago when I enquired about replacing some spokes that the older heavier spokes were not available anymore and I would have to replace them with lighter, modern spokes. Is this the case?

Larry.

Larry, Don't you just love it when folks tell you they will

respond to your questions, then all is quiet.

Trying to source 3 rd gear 27 teeth over here, maybe something other

than mod 10 will work, might have to have one made?

I will let you know one way or the other.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I was wondering where everyone had gone for a while! But there's other interesting stuff going on here so guys can't be replying to everything.

I much appreciate you following up on the gear. If all comes to all I will see if I can find a suitable machine shop.

Larry.

• Like 1

Have you tried Bultaco UK yet? You never know what is still available in Spain and they have the contacts. They were able to get me a new final drive sleeve gear for my 340 and gearbox parts for those are as rare as hen's teeth.

Spokes - it's 50 years old, so are the spokes, and as you've damage to some spokes which could have been caused by a hard impact, I'd be reluctant to trust those that are left not to break as well if you have another. If it was mine I get the wheels rebuilt. Original spokes aren't available, neither are the nipples, you'll have to use new, choice of finish (galvanised, stainless, butted or not butted etc) is personal preference

• Like 1

Trying to source 3 rd gear 27 teeth over here, maybe something other

than mod 10 will work, might have to have one made?

jlpar -

I had a root through the residue of my 4-spd. stuff and found a 27t. 3rd. gear pinion but I think it's for a model 11. (It has male dogs as opposed to holes).

However, looking through some old Bultaco paperwork, . I found listed :

"Part no. 10.11.004 Description : Gear, Mainshaft 27T (low 3rd.) "

- not what's listed in the parts book, as you've already discovered, but my limited knowledge of Bultaco part numbering suggests to me that this may be what you require (if that's any help at all).

How many teeth are on the mating layshaft pinion ?

+ 1 with Woody regarding spokes, etc. - (butted stainless would be my choice) - it's all down to how much you want to spend........hopefully, the rims and hubs are salvageable.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1