Old Bultaco

jlp

Hello guys,

More advice needed. I attach photo's of the front forks and innards. Two questions, there is corrosion on the tubes, are replacements required or could I rechrome, or just put up with them the way they are? The other pic is of the innards the ends of which seem to be brazed. Is this normal or were they altered in some way?

I've sent off the engine, and various bits and pieces to be soda blasted so we'll see how that turns out.

Larry.

post-20650-0-75197100-1425317871_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-82667600-1425317931_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-84434500-1425317963_thumb.jpg

Larry , You can't really live with stanchions in that sort of shape, don't know about your area but around here chrome work & centerless grinding

is not cost effective, probably suitable forks on e bay at a fair price, I don't know M 10's at all but I would guess the top clamp is of the tapered style

so there should be spares available, have to plead dumb on the dampers though.

Have a good day

Larry

• 2 months later...

Folks, '

Anyone know if this brake pedal is standard for a '68 Sherpa? It came with the  bike back when I acquired it early seventy's. The colour is due to a coat of Fe 123 for rust. post-20650-0-98803200-1432667739_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Must confess I haven't done anything yet. I have a tendency to long finger stuff and also get sidetracked into other things I'm afraid. I intend to check out rechroming before looking for replacements as I have come across a company that does it over here. To be honest, I'm not sure if I could identify the correct ones on ebay but that will be the route if the chroming works out too expensive.

Bult360,

Thanks for that info, The pedal was not fitted when I got the bike back in the day as the rear inner brake was busted. I used the bike with only a (poor) front brake for the duration. As Senor Buggatti said, I make cars to go, not to stop! 

Larry, there  are others more knowledgeable on M 10 , but they appear to be of the taper tops that were used

up thru M 85 Alpinas at least, I have used early sliders on later tubes with no problems.

I only offer this as my own experience.

One other word of caution M 92 and on have the knurling below what you need.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out a chroming company a couple of weeks back but they couldn't do hard chroming. They kindly referred me to others who could. I was quoted 180 euro for the two fork tubes.

How does that sound to you guys?

Larry 2.

Larry,

Yes, I thought it was a tad expensive. I had checked online re. model 10 fork tubes but found nothing. I'll check M85 Alpinas and see what turns up.

Thanks for the guidance. BTW, getting the other knee done on Monday week!

Larry2.

I was quoted 180 euro for the two fork tubes.

How does that sound to you guys?

Larry 2.

To me that seems about right, Most english based companys are quoting about £150.00. But be very careful you check out the company first as quality can vary from company to company.

You might think this expensive but hard chrome on forks is not simple chrome plate. They have to remove the existing chrome usualy grinding back, make any repairs neccessary, plate the legs and then grind to size and finaly polish/linish to obtain the correct surface finish.

Stuart

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart,

To be fair, the company outlined the process just as you have explained it. In addition, £150 equates to €211. So time for a rethink.

This company is the only one here that carry out hard chroming and if I were to get it done in the UK carriage would be a significant cost.

I think I'll follow it up and see how I get on. I would like the original tubes anyway if I can, as my instinct is towards preservation rather than restoration as I think an old vehicle should tell a story. 

Thanks again,

Larry2.

• Like 1