Old Bultaco

jlp

Hi Larry2, I'm just up the road from you in Dublin and I'm currently restoring a later Sherpa T, model 80, which will need work done on the tank. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/60113-model-80-restoration/

Could you recommend the guy who did your tank and could you send me his contact details by PM

Many thanks

Pat

Edited by model80

• 1 month later...

post-20650-0-97373500-1466015620_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-65105400-1466015651_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-51097100-1466015681_thumb.jpgHello Guys,

Decided to have a look at the clutch/ gearbox area. I reckon the clutch plates will have to be replaced (see pic) There is wear on the inner lugs. It may be difficult to source these. What do you think?

Also the drive chain seems have a fair bit of play. Your views on this would be welcome.

Thirdly, How can one loosen the flywheel nut? Is it left or right hand thread? Can't find anywhere to jam things in order to get a turn on it. (I'm sure this is covered somewhere on the forum but I'm taking a shortcut!)

• Like 1

Hi Larry 2, The clutch issue can be resolved with some file work on the plate edges where they are upset, then a bit of rust removal & they should be

OK to go with.

The primary chain appears quite loose & no apparent tensioner as in later 5 speeds so probably needs replaced.(I'm not   4 speed knowledgeable)

As to the nut on primary flywheel; I don't know but would assume RH thread, I will call our source today to find out for sure, I always use air impact 

to get things loose.

E-mail if you want.

Have a good day

Larry

Thanks for that Larry, a man after my own heart! I always like to refurbish stuff if I can. I'll get to work on the plates.

I've removed the cylinder head and barrel so I may be able to jam the crank to get a turn on the nut.

I'll keep you posted.

Larry 2. 

Having bought and sold Mahle pistons for Bultaco's in a previous life time, they usually came marked with 0.25, 0.50, 0.75 and 1.00 on the crown of the piston to indicate oversized.

Based on that, your piston appears to be Standard and not oversized. However I would like to see a photo of the complete crown (top) of the piston just to be certain.

Edited by model80
  • Like 1

Thanks Model80 and Bondy,

There are no other marks on the piston that I can see but I'll put up a pic anyway.

If the piston is std I think new rings should do as there's very little wear on the cylinder. But I still have to establish that.

Larry 2.

• Like 1

Hi Larry2

It looks to me that you have a standard piston there.

Have you removed one of the rings and inserted it into the bore, so as to check out the gap in the ring with a feeler guage?

post-22541-0-14060800-1467319878_thumb.jpeg

Edited by model80

Model 80,

No haven't tried that but I'll do it and see what I get.

Trouble is if there's a bit of wear in the cylinder and on the ring, then the gap may not make me any wiser.

Anyway, what gap should I expect?

Thanks for the response,

Larry 2. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Just a small update.

Got the tank back from the spray shop. I think it looks pretty good. I have to apply the decals but forgot to measure the exact location, Doh! I will try to estimate from my photos.

I also refurbished the casings.

Re. clutch pressure adjustment, I see elsewhere that it seems like trial and error is the order of the day. Any views?

Larry 2.post-20650-0-44277100-1469296410_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-00659500-1469296468_thumb.jpgpost-20650-0-23251000-1469296610_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Larry, looking really good!!

The clutch adjustment that I use on 5 speeds (no experience w/4speeds) is adjust all the slack available @ the lever, adjust the clutch @

the engine to a light "no slack" then back off 1/4 turn or a little more, 1/2 turn max, lock it down & adjust @ the lever to a bit of clearance

this hopefully will have you in good shape, fill in proper amount of Dexron ATF & let her rip.

Have a good day

Larry

• Like 2

Model 80,

No haven't tried that but I'll do it and see what I get.

Trouble is if there's a bit of wear in the cylinder and on the ring, then the gap may not make me any wiser.

Anyway, what gap should I expect?

Thanks for the response,

Larry 2. 

Hi Larry

Apologies for not getting back sooner.

I have a notebook with all this info, bore size tolerences, ring gaps, etc and do you think I can find it! I've tore the garage apart looking for it and can't locate it, I wouldn't mind some of the information was written up over 30 years ago when I used to work with an old gent who spent his day boring barrells and truing cranks shafts. Will keep looking.

Your paint and polishing jobs have truned out really nice.

You're spot on about the clutch adjustment its trial and error, followed by refined adjustments.

Edited by model80