Oil Supplier

dadof2

http://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-motorcycle/3477-smith-and-allan-fully-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/

Since Smith and Allen contributed towards the Scott programme I think it is appropriate to give them a mention on here. I first came across their products in the 1980s when they were used at the engineering company I worked for. I have now used them personally for many years and always found them to be good products and well priced.

Their synthetic 2T as in the link above burns very very clean and after many years use engines run on it are virtually as new.

I have no connection with Smith and Allen other than as a satisfied customer.

Very few retail oil suppliers refine their own oil, most buy in base stocks and additives from various suppliers and then blend them to their own specification. Smith and Allan probably get most of theirs from Shell.

Perce - do you know something we don't, perhaps at Richmond you know someone who works at S & A?

Shell was purely a guess, but one with some foundation. A few years ago S & A used to make much of their relationship with Shell, but they no longer do and seem to be offering products from an ever increasing number of suppliers. Shell until 2011 was the largest supplier of petro chemical base stocks to the North West UK but then sold out to Essar? however I it likely many Shell base stock customers would continue to get most of their supplies from Essar. Perhaps it could be expected that S & A would use Petro Plus products from nearby Teeside but there has never been any indication of this.

Certainly I doubt if S & A 2T is same as Shell 2T as S & A have always claimed to blend their own and their current own product literature supports this.

There are a vast number of additive manufacturers in the UK and it would be a fair bet S & A use at least several of these.

Their oils work and are well priced and thats what matters. I much prefer S & A to Rock Oil or Silkoline for example.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castrol/Motorcycle%20Oils/2%20Stroke/TTS.pdf

See the above data sheet for Castrol TTS. The wording is identical to Smith and Allans wording for their fully synthetic 2t. Looking at the data sheets S & As oil is slightly more viscous at 100 degrees C. But perhaps S & A s oil is made by Castrol.