Montesa 315R 2003 Engine Knock. Ideas? (Video)

331sam331

Hey guys, bought a 2003 bike a few weeks ago (LOVE IT) and other than the knock it pulls like an absolute train!!

Anyway, here is the video of the knock. Some friends have suggested the small end bearing.

My dad has just rebuilt his Beta Techno and it sounds like a sewing machine compared to mine now!!

Any ideas?

Also, I live in the UK and I can't find a small end bearing/con rod kit anywhere. Does anyone know where would be best to look? I don't mind paying overseas shipping if it is this that's the problem.

Cheers :guinness:

Since it has a knock that bothers you then you need at least the head and barrel off anyway. Far better to properly inspect and measure than waste time guessing from sounds.

Sounds top end to me, either piston slap or little end.

Edited by dadof2

100% piston slap, the piston has 3 rings and that keeps the top of the piston very stable, but the bottom of the piston when worn does move around a lot

It'll still run good as the rings keep the compression but defo worth fixing, Sandifords do a complete kit for £140

• Like 1

Since it has a knock that bothers you then you need at least the head and barrel off anyway. Far better to properly inspect and measure than waste time guessing from sounds.

Sounds top end to me, either piston slap or little end.

Yea I would like to fix it. I'll do the full piston kit I think. Is there anything else that is worth replacing while the head is off.

Also, is it a hard/big job? I haven't been around bikes much, only cars. I also know that 2 strokes are a different beast.

more than likely piston slap

Thanks

100% piston slap, the piston has 3 rings and that keeps the top of the piston very stable, but the bottom of the piston when worn does move around a lot

It'll still run good as the rings keep the compression but defo worth fixing, Sandifords do a complete kit for £140

Right OK, thanks for pointing me in the right direction on parts. I'll have to keep running it as is for the moment though as the piggy bank is getting low :wacko:

Does the noise change when you pull the clutch in?

No not at all.