Ventoux / Robregordo 2015

wobbler

Gents - a few of us are going to venture into Europe in 2015 and would like to do either one or both of the Ventoux / Roregordo in 2015 ....We will have people travelling from Carlisle & Manchester / Wrexham so its a proper "Road Trip" and with between 6-10 possible riders.

I understand the dates are around the beginning of October - can anyone confirm the dates ??

Some help on the following would be ideal.

Best way to travel ie : Overnight Ferry to Santander / Bilbao ?? with 3 people & the bikes in a van and the others flying and meeting there.

What is the nearest village or town to the start of each event.

Any special requirements for the twinshock / Classic Bikes .....lights etc

Any special rider requirements ..... ACU Licence / Medical etc.

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

As Always

The Wobbler

Edited by wobbler

Paul, I think Robregordo is 3rd & 4th October 2015. There is a motorway hotel at the start, though you will have to book early. The food at the motel bar is much better than anything in a similar UK stop. Ropbregordo village is a few hundred meters from the start. You will need an ACU license, and start release which was about £28 for repatriation in the unlikly event ! In previous years it has been all off road so no lights etc needed, you do need a working kill switch, or decompressor. You should also always wear a helmet when walking the sections, a couple of which you ride unseen !

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

Metisse,

That should be it empty !!

b40rt - Have you ridden &if so which course ? How did you travel ? and do you get the start release from the organisers ??

Would you want to go again ??

How does it compare to the Manx ???

Which bike should I take Montesa 247 or 240 Fantic ??

Thanks for your help gents !!

As Always

The Wobbler

Hi Paul, lucky enough to have ridden it last 3 years, either bike would be good. 247 might be more appropriate !

Start release direct from ACU, no medical required, so far. Completely different from the Manxx, which route did you ride there ? If easy ride green, if hard ride the middle route which was yellow I think. Blue for experts, but your choice.

B40rt

Thanks - what travel routes did you use??

Are the sections tight turns or just straight at harder stuff??

I rode the Fantic in the Manx and still had 100 marks on the hard course !! And it turns - the mont is defiantly a straight line bike !!!

Cheers for all of the help.

Did you enjoy the Manx ??

I fly and borrow bikes from good friends, (and loan when they come here)

Sections have tended to be longer than here, have look on youtube, three good ones from 2012 (I think)

Manxx was a really good long weekend, enjoyed the trial a lot, and the company more.

Posted this recently, Martin on Green (middle), Amos & Gilles on Blue (Hard)

• 4 weeks later...

The dates for the Ventoux classic two day 2015 have been arranged for the 10 th and 11 th October 2015. The entries will open around the middle of August, this gives potential riders plenty of time to work on Wags and or arrange brownie points... Good luck

The dates for the Ventoux classic two day 2015 have been arranged for the 10 th and 11 th October 2015. The entries will open around the middle of August, this gives potential riders plenty of time to work on Wags and or arrange brownie points... Good luck

Hi Hamish, good speaking to you.

What are the requirements for Ventoux, road registered, lights, brake lights. Pre 65, twin shock ?

Enjoy the weekend.

Ross

Metisse - thanks.

I'll start to get the posse organised.

Is it worth looking for a gite / chalet near the start to provisionally book ??

B40tt are you up for it ???

I've got confirmation on the land in newcastleton for a round of the twinshock championship next year - I might need some help advice with the sacu I'm away skiing for a week so will send you a message when I get back.

Cheers gents

As always

The wobbler

• Like 1

Hi Ross,

The main thing to remember about this trial is that it is in fact a team trial, with a handicap system. You need to be part of a three man team all riding the same route. You can enter with two other mates or there is what they call a bourse, which is a market, whereby teams short of a rider can/ will enter the bourse to make up their team and so contact you to see if you can and or are willing to ride with them . At the end everybody riders its just the choice of language you converse in. The handicap works on age of rider and age of bike, the long and the short, the older the better in both cases. You get marks added or deducted to your individual score depending on the above. So if a load of younger riders turn up on late model twinshocks they are not going to win unless they all go clean at the very least.

The bikes have to be road legal with lights fitted, up until now they do not have to work, although that maybe a requirement next year. Driving licences, insurance doc,s and the bikes legal doc,s have to be submitted with the entry and will be checked at signing on. This is strictly adherd to and no documents no ride. For French riders we need either an affliated licence or a valid medical certificate. For non French I don t know what is needed , but that investigated nearer the time.

There are three routes, twinshock mainly, with a smattering of pre 65, all having gone up in terms of severity in recent years, all still very doable with a very long ride round on both days. Unless you are a very good rider the hardest is hard , the middle is tricky and the easy route I think is straightforward . Both John Bull and George Greenland are regular visitors to the trial so ask them their thoughts in the uk.

The ambiance the trial / organisation is second to non, and is the only trial I would really try and sell to anybody looking to ride abroad. The town and area is awash with things to see and do and is taken over by the trial for this weekend. Its a long way down from the Uk, hence I would suggest you make a holiday of it, anybody wanting to take a little detour and get some practise in chez moi a few days before is welcome, hope that covers it.

• Like 1