Fantic Tx250 125Cc Advice

john b

Hi there

Just bought a Fantic 125 to restore. A few questions (apols - first Fantic!) - Any ideas what year ?

Runs great, but seems a bit lacking in power and pick up from the bottom end. Is this just how they are, or possible carb rebuild ?

Does anyone have specs of standard carb jetting etc for a carb rebuild ?

To tidy up the tank, what's the best bet ? Does anyone do vinyl tank covers (I used to use them years ago when I did MX in the 80's ....)

Side panels - best advice ? - or just keep an eye out on ebay ?

Any general advice appreciated !

cheers

John

post-79-0-47001300-1414508263_thumb.png

Hi John,

Your bike looks like a 1978/79 model, the later ones had different hubs to yours, Dave Renham does carry a good range of spares but i always use Bill Pye for parts for my fantics, he also keeps loads of bits for them, he is only an hour from you and to be honest what Bill dosent know about fantics isnt worth knowing mate.

Looks quite tidy.

With regards to pick up check that the rear silencer is not blocked.

It has baffle plates in there with smallish holes that get blocked up with carbon. You will need to cut the rea rand front of the can off to do this, re welding them afterwards.

A quick test is to remove the silincer and see if low speed pick up improves. I always thought that a blocked silencer would have hit top end performance but it was actually more noticeable at the bottom end.

Side panels - I bought some new plastic copies off ebay but have been disappointed as they became brittle very quickly , the mounting lugs broke off first then one shattered with a minimal contact. I am going to try the metal ones on e bay next hoping they last longer.

The original tank should buff up fairly well with t cut and a buffing wheel, although it will not be as shinny as fiberglass it will be far more robust. Give it a go it costs nothing but elbow grease.

Carb settings I don't know as I have the 200, do a search of google as it is amazing what info comes up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the posts and advice, much appreciated !

Turbo - yep still on with TLM, almost complete now. Could not source big bore, but everything else complete ready for Christmas.

Didn't intend to get another, but the fantic was a good price, and looking ahead my son will need a 125 twinshock so couldn't resist!

Your right tho, can't have too many bikes and projects on the go...... Latest stable consists of...TLR200, TL125, sprite 150 (3 mine), whitehawk 80, TLM 50, fantic 125, italjet 50 (all my sons) and we have a 2012 beta 80 and 2 bantams up for sale........

Happy days !

Cheers

John

That looks like an early 125 (the hubs are the giveaway but there could be any mix and match at this age) with a later tank.

Try, gently, using kitchen cream cleaner, which is midly abrasive, to clean the tank. I used it with good results to clean trials bikes when they had proper plastic components on them unlike the painted ones of today. I think the paint is put on to give an extra layer for strength :-)