Old "newbie" Here.

1973tr6

Have just bought myself a project, a model 183, 350 Sherpa, not used for 30 years, a bit like me ! The bike doesn't look like it has been trialled, no dents / scrapes in the frame and has the original steel bars, alloy fenders (under the white paint), glassfibre tank and the wire clips / light mounts are still on the frame. It won't start but I am addressing the issue (hopefully). It seems to have been bought originally in Germany, then to the UK, to Africa and finally to Canada with the previous owner.

I rode in the UK in the 70's and decided to get back into it having had Bultacos / Montesas etc in the past I thought twin shock might be the way to go as the way I ride, the clutch never gets used in a section !

So new condenser, plug, crank seals, points, intake rubber are on their way. There is a weak, intermittent spark currently. The gas tank needs ethanol proofing so that is on order. Anything else suggested as a first go around to get the motor running ? Also any suggestions for a carb rebuild (original Bing 84) full of crap and needing a good clean out!

post-20659-0-71108700-1414733451_thumb.jpg

Hi,

An interesting project - but enjoy it.

Before you get too far along the way please take that silly rubber footrest cover off - they may work on road bikes but when your foot is wet and muddy and you are trying to kick it over at some ridiculous angle 'cos you're stuck in a section with a dead motor - having your foot slip on the wet rubber and then scratch your leg painfully down against the lever...............

1973tr6, Don't know where you are located, but before you go to far, maybe clean the points then check for fire, red dead, white/blue

good.

The Bing is ok when clean.

Here we use automotive condensers mounted on the coil bracket.

Clean tank & fresh fuel, give it a go before dirty work on seals.

Larry

Have "given it a go" with not much happening, gas down the plug hole and she fires intermittently. She has been stood for 30 years so a thorough going over is needed prior to getting down to a full restoration. At this stage I just want to hear the motor running, check that the gears shift before getting down to business. I spoke to Bing in KC and was quoted $250 for a carb rebuild, I can get a replacement OKO for less than that but the bike will not then be "stock" which is kind of what I am aiming for... course that might change !

Located West Coast

Laird-

agree with the kickstart rubber although in my younger days I did have a Bultaco kickstart through the back of my leg thanks to a backfire while trying to start it. I went to the pub before the hospital though....... :guinness:

• Like 1