Blistering Paint

oldbiker

I have a problem with the tool-box panel on my Ossa Mar.

It clearly becomes hot from the exhaust pipe behind it and the paint keeps blistering.

I have smoothed it down and re-painted and wrapped some heat deflector material around the pipe but after a short run it's as bad as before.

Does anyone have a solution ??

Just an idea in passing when i saw this.

Make a proper one from metal . Get it from a scrap yard from the exhaust passage on most cars , the semi corrugated tin stuff ,you can cut it with strong scissors . Fashion it and fix it with jubilee clips if there's space. Or fix a flat deflector with some sort of insulator to the back of the panel.

Just an idea sorry if it's no use.

Have you tried just heat reflector material or real heat protection foil that has a fiberglass inlay?

I used a mat of this stuf to protect the plastic side covers of my KTM were the exhausrt goes very narrow with the side panel.

It worked so far very good. The heat insulation nad reflecting mat is called zircotec ... ZircoFlex.

http://www.zircotec.com/page/heatshield_products/97

I've had it happen but usually because the exhaust middle box has got out of shape somehow, meaning that the silencer body touches the panel. If the exhaust is as it left the factory there should be sufficient clearance between it and the panel not to cause a problem. The two MARs I have now don't burn the panel.

Take the panel off and put a straight edge across the brackets and see if it touches the exhaust or runs too close.

If it does it is possibly because something has caused the angle in the pipe to close up (where the smaller diameter part of the pipe exits the middle silencer and bolts to the frame) which has the affect of pushing the silencer body outwards with the result that it either touches or is too close to the panel. I've had one that actually prevented the side panel sitting flush onto its brackets

If this has happened you can open out the angle again so that the silencer body sits back inside the frame. It's possible to do this by tapping it hard with a hide mallet whilst still fitted to the bike and see if it will move back (I don't mean sledgehammer it...) Or, take it off and bend it back

If the silencer has been cut open and repacked it's possible for it to distort when re-welding, depending how / where the cuts were made

Bike had a new exhaust system fitted by the previous owner and has not done many miles since. The middle silencer touches a straight edge held against the frame let alone the brackets which are approx 10mm further in

I'm not sure I want to start beating it in-situ so it looks like some dismantling is required.