Rev 4T Shocker Removal

hoggyf

Was going to remove the shock on my REV 4 to clean out give it a check over but the bottom bolt through the swingarm is tight as! Do I need an impact gun to release it? I couldn't get a socket with Allen bit through the hole, just a long Allen key so couldn't put a lot of force on it.

Any suggestions before I damage the bolt??

Good luck with that, two boys in our club had the same problem one ended up having the bolt drilled out by an engineering firm and the other is still deciding what to do.

Its probably seized due to corroding in the swinging arm (I always swear by greasing as many nuts/bolts/fixings before using a new or second hand bike this helps reduce this type of problem happening in the future).

Try giving it a good soak with releasing oil or failing that you could try applying heat around the bolt with a hot air gun or blowlamp but be careful if using a blowlamp or you might up with a big blob of aluminium on the floor.

If it fails you could always get it drilled out and fit a new bolt just make sure you give it a good coating of grease or copper anti-seize lubricant.

All the best

Alan

You need a T type allen key so you can apply significant torque whilst keeping the key straight in the head of the bolt. It is far better (difficult to explain without diagrams) to apply force to the key at both 3 and 9 oclock simultaneously.

Thoroughly clean out the bolt head and glue the key in with JB weld.

Alternatively if you can support where the bolt screws into, give the allen key a hard blow with a copper mallet while applying torque.

the bolt threads into a steel threaded insert nut , if you can get hold of a gas welding torch you can have a small flame to heat this nut up also a socket type allen socket used on a hand impact wrench would work good but as above fit socket and bray it in to also get some shock through the bolt before attempting undoing

cheers for that, I think I'll wait and maybe take the swingarm and shocker out complete then I can get at it easier, I can't get an allen bit into it though unless I can get a long one as the recess through the swinger is probably about 40mm. I'll get some proper penetrating oil into it and a load of heat and if not I'll take it to an engineering firm I know.

Ta for the help :icon_salut: