78 213 Alpina

jap350

• 2 years later...

On 12/3/2014 at 0:30 PM, woody said:

You can't back the nuts off very much as they will foul the inside of the case, so I machine the nuts to half of their thickness.

Woody, thanks for the really informative guide!

What size are the original clutch basket nuts? M8x1.25 full hex nuts?

If I replaced them with a set of jam/lock nuts, would they be thin enough? M8 nuts are 6.8 mm jam nuts are 4 mm...

Those nuts are specials with a reduced OD (smaller than the A/F dimension) on one end to locate inside the spring so if you use some other nuts you will need to machine the recess. I'll measure one up later and post the info up if no-one else does first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

Those nuts are specials with a reduced OD (smaller than the A/F dimension) on one end to locate inside the spring so if you use some other nuts you will need to machine the recess. I'll measure one up later and post the info up if no-one else does first

The smart thing to do would be to leave the nuts the full width but make the machined section wider, so it spigots more deeply into the spring. You'd hold the nut on a threaded mandrel to machine it.

• Like 1