Reliability

heffergm

Anyone with a recent (2012+) GG care to comment on their experiences with reliability (or lack thereof)? I'm coming off a Beta that I put a million hours on and, aside from things I broke, it never went wrong. I'm inclined to just get another Beta since I'd rather ride than wrench, but something new/different sounds fun.

I am of course biased being a proud owner of the 2001 Pro when it came out that broke down three times in two weeks from new with electrical problems and a clutch, and was swapped for another Beta very shortly afterwards and I've never bought a Gasser since.

I loved my JT's and TXT's, the 98 TXT I had (280) was probably the best trials bike I've ever owned apart for the Monts, and a mate of mine usually brings his 250 over once a year for me to service for him which I enjoy as it gives me the opportunity to have an hour or so ride on it after some fettling.

I loved my Rev3's apart from the dribbling problems until sorted, pretty much bullet proof and I cant say I had any major problems with any of mine, even a stator swap?

There are about 8 or 9 in my immediate area who come practising as a group. All have owned gassers at some time, and 2 currently do the bikes being a late 2013 and a 2014. The 13 is owned by a good clubman rider and has never given any problems. The 14 is so new its too early to comment (bought as one of the recent discounts)

With the exception of the above 2 gassers all the other pro engined bikes have had a least one gearbox failure, some very expensive and just out of warranty and several of the group swear they will never buy a gasser again. Several of the gearbox rebuilds have been cheap partswise (about £60) and just a long evenings work. But if you break down in a trial and have to pay for labour it is very displeasing. The shercos have had minor faults - brake problems and one stator under warranty. Mechanically the betas have been 100% reliable but one bike needed 1 stator and another needed 3.

2 of the riders are thinking maybe 4rt next.

I am of course biased being a proud owner of the 2001 Pro when it came out that broke down three times in two weeks from new with electrical problems and a clutch, and was swapped for another Beta very shortly afterwards and I've never bought a Gasser since.

I loved my JT's and TXT's, the 98 TXT I had (280) was probably the best trials bike I've ever owned apart for the Monts, and a mate of mine usually brings his 250 over once a year for me to service for him which I enjoy as it gives me the opportunity to have an hour or so ride on it after some fettling.

I loved my Rev3's apart from the dribbling problems until sorted, pretty much bullet proof and I cant say I had any major problems with any of mine, even a stator swap?

I'm not sure that an opinion based on a 2001 bike is that relevant?

There are about 8 or 9 in my immediate area who come practising as a group. All have owned gassers at some time, and 2 currently do the bikes being a late 2013 and a 2014. The 13 is owned by a good clubman rider and has never given any problems. The 14 is so new its too early to comment (bought as one of the recent discounts)

With the exception of the above 2 gassers all the other pro engined bikes have had a least one gearbox failure, some very expensive and just out of warranty and several of the group swear they will never buy a gasser again. Several of the gearbox rebuilds have been cheap partswise (about £60) and just a long evenings work. But if you break down in a trial and have to pay for labour it is very displeasing. The shercos have had minor faults - brake problems and one stator under warranty. Mechanically the betas have been 100% reliable but one bike needed 1 stator and another needed 3.

2 of the riders are thinking maybe 4rt next.

I think the question above relates to the later bikes, so follow dads advice buy a GASSER!

There wasn't a Pro in 2001 they were still producing TXT at that time. The Pro didn't go into production until 2002.

I've ridden more Trials on a Pro than probably any other bike & I've broken one gear selector spring, exactly the same number of gear selectors that I've broken on a Montesa 4rt, one.

Edited by perce

My last 3 bikes have been Gassers and apart from a failed reg/rectifier on the 06 they've never really let me down. My 05 Rev 3 cost me with a failed stator and my 04 Sherco big end bearing gave me a £400+ parts bill.

I personally think it's luck of the draw when it comes to reliability of any machine used in anger? Most modern bikes all seem to be very good compared to those of yesteryear?

I have had 3 shercos. 2007, 2011 and 2012. All of them broke at least one gear change return spring. Betas I have had were ok except those small bonded bushes used for the radiator and exhaust which broke every few weeks. In 6 gas gas pros I have had one gearbox that didn't change 5th to 4th very well from new. It was replaced foc under warranty.

Montesas for all there advantageous weight are not without fault. Three people I know have broken the frame where the footrest bolts on. Early models broke the kickstart stop from the crankcase.

Id buy what you like riding as all bikes have their issues

• Like 3

Andrew, it was gasser every time for me up until the Pro, so very relevant to me, seems things went downhill from there, lots of problems from what I have seen from other lads compared to pre 2001 bikes. I would love to have another Gasser, always gave done, but being bitten so badly tends to leave a very bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by the addict

I love Beta build quality, Apart from stators and corroding engine cases you can't go too far wrong with one.

I have heard of Gassers giving gearbox trouble but have never had one let go yet, The parts are dearer than Sherco but cheaper than Beta.

As for the 4rt its built well and reliable, but hey so is a Volvo, Just wait till they bring out a Repsol caravan,Nuff said!!!

If you like your Beta stick with them, A new Beta will make you happy.