Matchless Engine

rusty ken

I'm seeking opinion on the best options for a Matchless engine. Is there any benefit in using the older 350 bottom half of the engine? It is smaller, lighter, and the smaller flywheels may suit modern sections better. Has anyone tried this with the later shorter con rod, which should give better torque? Or is there a better option?

Hi,

The short-stroke motor tried by the works riders but eventually only used by Gordon McLaughlan was created by using very early 7R flywheels and the shorter con-rod, then machining the cylinder to suit. I rode that bike in about 1973/4 and found that it had a snappy response to the throttle - but nothing like the spread of power across the band that my 'normal' works bike, TUL 654 created and ridden by Bob Manns - in fact it was at a distinct disadvantage in long muddy slots.

When all is said and done Gordon Jackson won the Scottish in 1961 on his relatively standard 350, slightly higher compression ratio but a slightly softer inlet cam, dropping just a single mark - which nobody has emulated before or since, so standard motors can't be that bad.

If that is not the case in 'modern' classic sections - it's the sections that are wrong - not the bikes.............

• Like 3

I use the earlier type 350 motor in my rigid Ajay,still at 350cc with the long rod.I cant comment on the shorter stroke motors,I can only say I'm very happy with the characteristics of mine.But one thing I have found that I was told years ago by the late John Scott, is that its best to use the roadster narrow flywheels rather than the original wide comp ones.His rigid had an old iron motor which he was a great favourite of his. Steve Allen's Matchy which is still very original,(Gerry Holdstock's bike) is flat and very unwilling to rev out like mine will,I think because of its wide comp flywheels.But both bikes will find grip amazingly well, even with a less than new tyre with 8-10psi in it.

Brilliant engines to use,very satisfying to creep up muddy banks were often more modern bikes struggle...

• Like 3

Hi,

Some of the 'facts' surrounding the various motor options are discussed in the fully illustrated history of the AJS/Matchless Competition models, which is being serialised in ORRe, starting in ORRe-11, and, to be sure, many of the myths are exploded.........

• Like 1

can i ask why a trick matchless with modern pvl electronics is listed under pre 65, oh i wish i was a scrutineer in pre 65 trials instead of sprint and drag racing,

Do you think it's easy to get a good spark at low revs ?