Lost Spark!

andilicious

Hi

Using my 06 290 today and it worked fine for around 40 mins and then just wouldn't start up.

I checked fuel and that was fine so next I checked the spark and there's nothing.

Came home and started with the meter in the HT cap and no spark so next I checked coming up from the stator and I'm getting 0.03v when I kick it over.

What could have caused this?? I don't have a flywheel puller so I can't get inside just yet to have a look. Seems strange that it can just stop without any signs!

Andy

Edited by andilicious

when this happened to my 1999 sherco, i was a bit stumped, so i changed the plug and sniped about 10mm off the HT lead, it looked a bit corroded then took the cover off the flywheel and it looked quite damp so i used a heat gun just to dry it out a little but it still didn't start until i put a few drops of fuel into the spark plug hole and then it started, it was very sluggish for about 20-30 seconds but then kicked into life, i noticed that the seal had corroded on the flywheel cover and water had got in to the electrics so have a think back on what conditions you where riding in when it failed on you, good luck m8.

Ok I took the cover off the flywheel side and it was clean as a whistle under there.

No flywheel puller so I just refitted that for now.

I will have a look on splat shop in a mo and see if I can find the resistances as you say and see what I get.

It was running perfectly as well which is why it's such an odd thing to happen.

It can't be the kill switch as I'm not getting a voltage out from the stator.

Andy

Using the red lead to the plug terminals and black to earth.
Blue no reading (sometimes shown as 1 or error)
Brown 1000 to 1600
Black 1050 to 1650

My readings are
Brown 1.111
Black 1.104

Using the leads the other way around i.e. black lead to the coloured wires, red to earth.
Blue 600 to 730
Brown 650 to 770
Black 650 to 770

My readings are
Blue 0.649
Brown 0.676
Black 0.677

Also test the resistance's of the other coil wires, leads either way around.
White to red 95 ohms
Red to green 550 ohms
Green to white 640 ohms

My readings
W-R 79
R-G 508
G-W 587

I think the units are different on the readings but give the same result so I'm pretty happy with these.

Resistance between W-R is slightly down but I think close enough?

Just can't figure out what is wrong!

Edited by andilicious

I doubt it, I think I'm the only person I know with this age of Sherco!

I was hoping one of these readings would come back open circuit so it would be an easy fix but alas....

I can't think what I could have done to cause it. Very strange how its just cut out.

Does anyone know what voltage should I get out of the stator on Brown / Black / Blue when I kick it?

I can then check it up to the CDI and work out where the problem lies.

Toetoe, I have already tried snipping a bit off the HT lead once I saw there was no spark, so I have a clean connection and that didn't work.

You cant really check output with a meter when kicking, meter does not respond fast enough. The source coil for the ignition power is the stator coil with the fine windings (Thicker windings are for fan / lights). Trace the wires to the fine windings, connect you meter and spin the engine with power drill. Plug out but earthed

Expect between 20 and 30 volts AC. If not source coil is probably faulty. Resistance is not a good guide but expect 200 to 250 Ohms.

I think the trigger on your bike is transistorised so checking resistance may not be a good guide. Try connecting meter both way round (opposite polarities) and kick the bike over, if it gives a blip connected in either direction is is probably OK.

I am not sure but a fully failed ignition source coil (no volts or infinite resistance) may prevent trigger functioning.