Question On A 74 Ossa Mar

yellow_cad

My question is about the drive chain tensioner that pushes up on the chain and provides a tight wrap of the chain on the rear sprocket. The rubber pad that contacts the chain is attached to a steel lever that is somewhat spring loaded. There is an additional spring that attaches to the frame and goes down to the tensioner lever. This second spring was disconnected when I got this bike and the rubber has hardly any use at all. Should this second spring be connected by hooking to the bottom of the steel tensioner lever? If it should be attached, should I lube the rubber with, say, silicone spray? Thanks for any help on this. Jim

They only had one spring, the one that fits onto the brake pedal spindle. The spring that is attached to the frame ? (swingarm?) has been added which some people did as the original spring isn't overly strong, but it does the job. So it's up to you whether you want to connect the second spring.

Can't advise on the silicon spray question as not sure why you want to do it

Edited by woody

I have a OSSA TR77 250 Verde which has a second chain tensioner spring, this attaches via a special bolt which is one of the two used to secure the chain tensioner block to the end of the arm, the upper end hooks over a bar which protrudes from the inner edge of the swing arm tube.

These assistor springs were factory fitted to some OSSA models but I do not know when they were first fitted or to which models.

• Like 1

I seem to think they all came with two springs, one on the spindle which wasn't quite enough and another from the other end to a pin on the inside of the swinging arm.

The pins on the inside of the swing arm get bent or broken over the years and go missing, so owners don't really know it's meant to be there anymore.

See P/N 122835

http://www.custgp.com/a1manual2/Ossa%20Mar%20250%201972%20parts.pdf

I never knew that (never seen that parts diagram) So sorry Yellow_Cad, I gave you wrong info there.

You can see how it fits as the top hoop must fit around the lug that the rear chainguard bolt mounts to. The bottom mount on the chain pad would just need a long enough bolt to attach to

I used a brake shoe spring mounted like that some years ago on a bike that had a broken main spring, at a time when they weren't available to buy

Edited by woody