Anti Theft Measures

dadof2

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Punches/sd3302/Letter+Number+Punch+Set+36+Piece/p19757

See above link, can get them at plenty of other places also. Another option is a vibro engraver at about £40.

To make the bike less attractive to thieves and more likely to be recovered get it registered, it costs nothing. Then stamp or engrave the reg number on lots of parts, some visible and some hidden.

I can't remember the exact figure but doing the above reduces theft by something like 70%

• Like 1

I had an attempted break in a few years ago that really woke me up to the fact nothing is safe, my new bike is datatagged, its in a double alarmed workshop with two doors and 6 locks, its chained up in the room and there are four 500 watt spot lights surrounding the workshop.

I'm pretty sure I was followed home from an event as it was more than obvious the target was the bike, and ever since I have never turned down my road if there's a vehicle behind me, you just cant be too careful these days. As mentioned above, registering your bike is a must as is insuring it, something I did within an hour of delivery online that cost me £77 TPFT.

I don't kid myself that the bike is 100% safe, even though it would be far easier to break into my house than the workshop, but making things less attractive to do so is all anyone can do really, as if they want the bike bad enough they'll have it.

Edited by the addict

Agree with the above comments. Last time I registered a bike it cost £60 and I had to show that I was insured, the insurers would only issue cover for two weeks using the frame number, the local DVLA centre also needed the bikes certificate of newness. This may have changed, as they have closed most DVLA centres Bit of a carry on, but it is worth it.

• Like 1

A ground anchor is a must even if you have an alarm,

I had a bike stolen that had some expensive locks & chains but it wasn’t locked to the floor.

The locks broke there bolt cutters, so the stole a neighbours van and took it with the locks on!

Now I have a ground anchor under the bike to make access difficult, and another at the front!

They can be purchased off ebay quite cheaply!

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

Rottweiler was good for me. Ex took it when she left me and yep bike got nicked a few weeks later, luckily insured.

I have had 5 bikes stolen in 30 years and would say insurance and do not tell them you have an alarm as they may void insurance if its faulty or wasnt activated as the time of theft, next chains sunk into the concrete ie avoid ground anchor as it weaker than deep sunken chain with bar through it.

Put beware of dog sign regardless if you have one. Do not put stickers on van or car a clear advert.

Tong at Bradford seems to be a place that attracts thieves as many have done a trial and had bike stolen shortly afterwards, i give different address.

I also watch who is following me as i leave my junction and if feel followed drive in circles to identify i am being followed.

Do you guys have video surveillance or hunting cameras set on infrared? I have pics of every vehicle the comes here. Coming and going. If I did not have distance issues I would have video running 24/7. I'm not being an ass, I just want to throw out how we would deal with the prob.