Front Or Rear Brake In Tight Turns? Newbee's Question :)

tomek

Which of the two do you use when making tight turns, figure 8 etc?. When riding on road bikes, I have been always using rear brake only when making slow speed turns, u turns, etc, in order to prevent losing balance if front brake is applied to abruptly. Is it the same with trial bike?

Should be able to use just clutch on the flat with very tight turns. Front brake is useful turning on a hill, as is the rear in this situation. Some people do use front and rear brakes for slow speed stuff, experiment, watch some videos on the subject and find what works for you.

When learning it is best to do circles tighter and tighter and then figure eights. At first just throttle control. But to answer the brake question, use both lightly in unison to keep a proper balance. Using just one causes jerking motions which results in bad habits. Watch an event. The lower riders will use just one brake and the results are sometimes comical. Watch a good rider, everything is nice and smooth.

• Like 1

If I'm facing uphill and turning across hill or doing 180 I use the front until facing down and then swap to rear or judicious use of both. I have face planted in the beginning when using too much front on downhill on slippery surface.

A lot of the time going uphill I just throttle off and let bike come to stop for split second and then hold on clutch... and then go around on clutch... applying brake as I start facing down hill. Takes smooth clutch/throttle control and very small movements on clutch/throttle.

Took plenty of practice to get to this "hold and around on clutch only" stage... and some special "tastings" of my local dirt!!!

Mags