1989/90 Air Cooled Gasgas

pierre66

How popular were these air cooled mono shocks back in their day?

I had one in 2002, my first trials bike.

Feeling a bit nostalgic, I`ve spent the last month looking for one and I`ve only found two for sale, one of them had half the engine missing and a seized crank.

Are they/were they really that rare?

^^ Ha, yep, never thought about oil tightness ruling a bike "non classic." ^^

I wasn`t riding in 89/90 so I don`t know how popular they were from new and in 2002, as a wobbly un-coordinated mess, I was too busy trying to keep me and the bike together and upright to notice what bikes other people were riding.

I did find a report on them on line in Moto Verde magazine but, as my Spanish stops at ordering a beer.................

Edited by pierre66

They were good bikes yes

There's a facebook group - hard to find twinshock trials and aircooled mono

There is a bit about the aircooled mono Gasser on there. The model was called an Airie (think that's the correct spelling) might help you find more info on them

You need to trawl down through the Facebook page to find the info, it has been a busy page since it started. Surprising what bikes are still out there in sheds etc. A/c monos are the last affordable air cooled trials bikes, the rest have rocketed in price.

• Like 1

I don`t know, I figured a bike that would be nearly 25 years old would come under the "classic" umbrella.

I`m guessing by your tone I`ve posted this in the wrong section.

My apologies - I didnt mean to appear rude it was just a tongue in cheek comment.The term classic I think can be applied to anything that you feel it should.Good luck with finding one,they appear to be the next "hot" thing in trials.

Jon v8

No apology necessary, I wasn`t offended. :)

I admit it was a bit cheeky posting in the classic section, I just wanted to reach what I thought might be the biggest audience.

bilks

thanks for the links, that bike was one of the two bikes I mentioned in the first post. It`s now been sold.

sorry baldricks, still can`t find it. Could you post a direct link please?