Hard Starting Factory

cabby

From cold or when it's warm, i have to press on the kick start, not kick, just let the motor turn over a few times to prime the engine, with the choke full on, then it always takes two good kicks, thats from cold but even warm it normally will take two kicks and even more if i don't kick it just right, it seems about normal for a gas gas, mine is a 2013 txt pro standard though so we will have different carbs.

HI old mate,as you know I don't subscribe to these old fashioned Carb type things these days!

However,it wouldn't do any harm to take the carb off as often new bikes have "stuff" (Technical term) in the tank/carb not properly removed during manufacture.

Check the tank breather and fuel pipe too.

Cheers the noo.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/iridium-spark-plugs

See above and consider an iridium plug. It will help whatever the problem

Spark plugs do deteriorate and this would match your symptoms.

Poor electrical contact either earth or live from ignition source coil could cause this gradual deterioration due to corrosion or water ingress

Could also be source coil or trigger beginning to fail.

What colour is your plug, is it getting darker?

Something worth a try (I always do it) is when I have finished riding the bike for the day I turn off the fuel but keep the bike running until it starts to hesitate due to fuel shortage. This means next time I come to start the bike it has a good fill of fresh fuel into the carb.

this also cuts fuel smell in your van on the way home.

Hi thedbf, all of the above for me too since buying the bike two months ago 2012 Pro 250, warm or cold its a bit of a lottery. I did put a flat slide carby on and that has made it a bit easier more often. Used the iridium plug last ride, still a pain. I put it down to me. But still try different techniques when starting.

Cheers Taff

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/iridium-spark-plugs

See above and consider an iridium plug. It will help whatever the problem

Spark plugs do deteriorate and this would match your symptoms.

Poor electrical contact either earth or live from ignition source coil could cause this gradual deterioration due to corrosion or water ingress

Could also be source coil or trigger beginning to fail.

What colour is your plug, is it getting darker?

Something worth a try (I always do it) is when I have finished riding the bike for the day I turn off the fuel but keep the bike running until it starts to hesitate due to fuel shortage. This means next time I come to start the bike it has a good fill of fresh fuel into the carb.

this also cuts fuel smell in your van on the way home.

This bloke hasnt owned a gas gas for over 10 years so i wouldnt listen to a word he says.

You just can`t kick a Pro. You have to engage the gear, bring it to top center, make sure the gears are engaged and give it a very quick kick. It`s a very small gear, only about a third round of a normal gear.

what do you mean by engaging the gear ?

Before you dash out and spend your cash ,check the plug gap, often the most basic overlooked thing with 2 stroke's and it doe's matter , and they don't come pre set as the belief goes. They've come off a production line and been handled and thrown about by every one who's touched them.

My TXT 250 started second kick from cold and alway's when hot.

Edited by shyted

You can not just start kicking a Pro as that is why the kick start pawl breaks over time. Take a look at a parts diagram. All other bikes it is a round gear. This thing is just a short piece. You have to feel the engagement first.

Let me ask again, what do you mean by "engaging the gear" please explain in layman's terms.

Engaging the gear - Kickstarter needs to feel solid before you kick down. If you kick across the gap you feel that is when you can break that gear. Also when starting from cold try this. Put in 3rd gear and rock back and forth moving the piston up and down. This will "prime" motor and make it easy to start.