Pre 65 Trial Mons - 2014

guys

Ahaa! Thanks, something like this one perhaps:

Scott-Super%20Squirrel%20-1929-1.jpg

Hi,

If you would like full details of interesting machines like the Scott - and of course the history of the 'First Hundred Years of the Scott Trial' - the most arduous one-day trial in the world - then you should subscribe to ORRe where you will find that history being serialised - and a full analysis of the model shown, which is Roger Tushingham's 1930 Scott leading off the 2014 Centenary Scott Trial, but sadly having to retire at Orgate Falls when the chain became unbelievably wedged around the rear brake plate........

Attached is the photograph taken by ORRe contributor Barry Robinson less than a month ago!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-54786800-1416298435_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

Now there's an interesting point - 'cos the Edinburgh club have just posted a very useful explanantion of the largely misunderstood ballot system for the Pre-65 Scottish which indicated that certain provision was made in the ballot for interesting machines - and I can provide images of Lambretta scooters in use in the SSDT when Alan Kimber and Suzuki UK who held the Lambretta concession at the time were 'ploughing the midget wheelers furrow' with all sorts of press gaining antics, including manhandling the little curiosities around the Six Days - which many thought deserved another annotation on the delay cards to explain the long waits............

Deryk Wylde

(Just a thort.......)

That is the good thing about Mons,

nobody is complanig about,forks,carbs,ignitions etc.Just enjoy the weekend,have a good time with old friends and ride your bike.A lot of spectators with a good knowledge of the bikes.And you can see unusual bikes there.That's why i took my Ducati there for the last years and the plan for 2015 is riding the 1964 Hercules 50cc there.

• Like 3

Both very intresting machines and obvousley ridden to there best I have seen one of these Scotts at a trial and wonder if ether of them would be welcomed in the pre 65 Scottish 2 day

Hi,

Way back when - as we dinosaurs like to explain - there was a fascinating development of the Scott theme (they had phenomenal power delivery over a very large rev. range) which is why Alfred Scott's basic 1920's design lasted through all the years of Scott production right up until about 1966 when Aerco Jigs and Tools bought out the rights and produced the MOST desirable road machine ever, the Aerco Scott Squirrel - with modern, in its day, suspension but still the same basic motor churning out power that would leave my Vincent standing.

Yet another example of perfect engineering prospering - but sadly, there's not a lot of it about............

Deryk Wylde.

• Like 1

That is the good thing about Mons,

nobody is complanig about,forks,carbs,ignitions etc.Just enjoy the weekend,have a good time with old friends and ride your bike.A lot of spectators with a good knowledge of the bikes.And you can see unusual bikes there.That's why i took my Ducati there for the last years and the plan for 2015 is riding the 1964 Hercules 50cc there.

Totally agree, it all to do with the ambiance and enthusiasam and best of all the welcome and the many friends from Germany, Netherlands,Belgium and France that i have made over the years at this event

Hi,

Way back when - as we dinosaurs like to explain - there was a fascinating development of the Scott theme (they had phenomenal power delivery over a very large rev. range) which is why Alfred Scott's basic 1920's design lasted through all the years of Scott production right up until about 1966 when Aerco Jigs and Tools bought out the rights and produced the MOST desirable road machine ever, the Aerco Scott Squirrel - with modern, in its day, suspension but still the same basic motor churning out power that would leave my Vincent standing.

Yet another example of perfect engineering prospering - but sadly, there's not a lot of it about............

Deryk Wylde.

Scotts are very much an aquired tast love em or hate them ! I must love them i have 5 . i have a 1914 cut away engine in my front room it gets more attention than the square electrical picture thing as the engineering was right from day one you mention aerco it all continued with george silk and yamaha claimed a reverlution with the rd350lc it all been done before . it time to get fettling the next mount Sunbeam S8 trials

Totally agree, it all to do with the ambiance and enthusiasam and best of all the welcome and the many friends from Germany, Netherlands,Belgium and France that i have made over the years at this event

Scotts are very much an aquired tast love em or hate them ! I must love them i have 5 . i have a 1914 cut away engine in my front room it gets more attention than the square electrical picture thing as the engineering was right from day one you mention aerco it all continued with george silk and yamaha claimed a reverlution with the rd350lc it all been done before . it time to get fettling the next mount Sunbeam S8 trials

Hi,

I hope you saw the full analysis that I did in ORRe-6 of Alfred Scott's 'Baby Scott' the 300cc single cylinder engined bike? As far as I know there has never been another fully illustrated analysis ever published, with up to date photographs taken of the actual bike this year.

Deryk Wylde