Fantic Clutch Conversion

dmc2028372

Hi. Still having issues with my 240 clutch. Still very vague action and drags a bit. I'm using ATF in the gearbox in the moment. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone fitted a hydraulic clutch conversion? What are they like and when can they be bought?? Thank you ladies and gents

Fantic 240 has one of the best clutches of a trials bike. Therefore the problem has to be within your particular bike. To fit a hydralic clutch, would be a bit like, taking asprin to get rid of a toothache...it might correct the problem in the short term, but your not getting to the root of the problem. To make a guess at what the problem might be...would be a shot in the dark, could be one of ten different things, or a combination of several of those ten things. Without a bit of history to your ownership and wether the clutch was OK for you, in the past, or wether the problem has only just started, all these things help, to point towards where the problem may be. Things like the correct domino lever, to wether the clutch arms been extended, to even wether the clutch cable has a restiction, before we even look at the engine, is it a genuine 240 or a 241 or even a 156, can we assume its a forward kick, if it's a genuine 240, it will have a helical gear primary drive (not straight cut) and the clutch basket will be steel. If all these things are correct, then it's a clutch strip down and minute inspection.

• Like 2

My trusty 240 has a one finger clutch with excellent feel / engagement .

#! Domino clutch lever , with good bushings/washers

#2 new clutch cable (the most basic fix )

#3 clutch arm lengthened about 12mm. (from memory , didn't go out and measure it )

#4 proper adjustment of the clutch actuator rod , and make sure the ball is in place !!!

Most modern guys that I've let ride my bike are amazed at the clutch action ...

#5 silkoline light gear oil or redline gear oil , Redline has become the gear oil of choice for all my fantics , Smooth action and no initial hangup ...Screw ATF !!! in a GEARBOX !!!

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 3

Mine is like Glenn's,exception is I use Honda CR copy levers,cheaper,better fit for my hands. I also did the "Beta" clutch fix to mine,worth the time as It's been sweet ever since. Proper gear oil keeps mine shifting smooth through a entire Trial,ATF would start shifting hard on third loop.

Thank you for your replies. 2 things I should have added.

Firstly, I find myself having to keep adjusting the free play up on the lever as I ride a trial as the biting point comes in further and further.

Secondly, to get the clutch to clear fully on the lever, I had to adjust it to the point where there is no cable slack left with the lever out.

Any observations?

Clean any access glue from the plates.

Check the springs are equal lengths.

Check the clutch basket doesn't have any nasty ridges. If there are any gently file the worst smooth.

Put it back together and fill it with 5W-30 fully synthetic oil, that's the stuff I use.

I don't have a lightener and use the original Domino levers.

Adjustment is tricky and difficult to advise on but you should be able to get it working nice, changing gear, not slipping or dragging and have a small amount of free play at the cable. Get the engine warm before you start. You may always have a tiny amount of drag but nothing more than a slight slowing of the engine tick over when in gear at standstill. Not jerking forward with the clutch pulled in!

Once sorted they are good and reliable. Good luck and stick with it.

Thank you for your replies. 2 things I should have added.

Firstly, I find myself having to keep adjusting the free play up on the lever as I ride a trial as the biting point comes in further and further.

Secondly, to get the clutch to clear fully on the lever, I had to adjust it to the point where there is no cable slack left with the lever out.

Any observations?

Adjusting screw in center of pressure plate under the plug in the clutch cover is backing off,make sure it has a locknut.