Spectator Complains About Riders Score !

cabby

Trial on Sunday, spectator on the day, who is also a club member, approaches a rider at the end of the trial and says " hope you gave yourself a five for your rear wheel being outside the flag going through a gate on section one, 3rd lap" Rider has no idea what he's on about and explains he couldn't give what he didn't see.

Fast forward 48 hours, rider gets a call from trials convener to say spectator has complained about riders score after having seen the results, that showed rider hasn't been marked for a five.

What is or should be the decision ??

The decision should be if the spectator is so knowledgeable they should be asked why they didn't observe then this situation wouldn't have arisen.

And if they dont wish to observe then they should stop doing so.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 6

The rider doesn't dispute that his rear wheel may well have been outside the flag, but his first knowledge of it was after his card was handed in, when said spectator told him.

So should he have asked for his card back to change it or do as he did and just left it ? bearing in mind, this is all on the word of the spectator.

We ride "observe/score yourself" and as mentioned you can't take it too seriously, I see little instances of points lost that don't show in the final tally. I've never heard of another rider challenging another competitor, its just fun and as the saying goes "we're not playing for sheep stations".

Another way to do it is to ride in pairs and score each other. Any way you are really cheating yourself as the aim, I think, is to better your own score. Most infringements I think are possibly unknown to the rider.

Cheers Taff

This is very difficult, if I was the rider and had honestly believed I had cleaned the section I would have looked for other witnesses or riders (sometimes spectators are not impartial). I may have replied that I'll be happy to adjust my score if the spectator can assure me he will watch every rider through the section and check their scores too. I wouldn't

If the scores have been changed then it might suggest the rider had cheated and been found out, in which case the right descion was made - perhaps even a little too lenient.

My understanding is the rider accepted that the spectator seen what he seen. However, it was after the rider had rreturned his card that this was brought up with him, where he replied he couldn't give what he didn't see.

The trials convener was told about it at the time, it was only 48hrs later after the spectator complained was the results changed.