Trial Motorcycle, Best Engine

alyrian

Hello all,

I´m a student doing a trial motorcycle research. But as I have little to no knowledge about trial motors I´d like to ask you a simple question. Which engine do you prefer? By this I mean from which manufacturer and why. Also if you have any other advice about what you prefer in your motors it would help me a lot. I hope I´m not causing you any problems and hope you will be able to help me in my project.

Regards, Ivan Vicevic

If you are talking about a purpose built engine design it would be Fantic. They had the first quick revving motor. The trials oriented engineering with the shift shaft high out of the way (Why no other manufacturer has done this is beyond me) and the friendly forward kicking.

• Like 1

Ivan, my bike is best, and it really is because its the one that suits me. Others lick dick of 2 who sometimes posts on here do not like it.

the fact its taken 14 goes to get it right is as much down to annual development as much as bad choices on my part. If next years vertigo is better for me then thats the best bike next year.

• Like 1

Gas Gas pro engine set a new benchmark in weight and compact design when launched, which other recent manufacturers seem to have mimicked to a degree. But the Gas Gas engine/gearbox is prone to failure possibly by shaving so close to the limit of material strength.

Borderline troll??? MMMmmmmmmm!

If troll... the best motor is the one Tony Bou uses... Lampkin is a legend in my eyes as well... maybe its his engine? Now I'm perplexed!

If not a troll... Plain and simple the best motor is one you can exert fine control over! I'm boss of my motors... I say rev, you rev muvver!

Mags

Hi Ivan, So you are studying Logistics - How is a trial motorcycle of interest ?

No, he is studying Logic! As in why does the common punter think he needs the lightest quickest most maintenance intensive out there to go throw at rocks!

• Like 4

i've never bought a bike based on engine, other than it has to be a 2 stroke. for me the way a bike rides and feels. also the brakes and how nimble it feels. also i don't like lower displacement motors. in 24 years of trials riding i've only needed to open up a motor to work on / change parts once. when riding a 93 gg i changed a couple of water pump seals, on my 2013 sherco it came from the factory with a messed up water pump seal, once replaced not a moments trouble.

rob

I have no intention to troll or whatsover, I just wanted to have some information from people who actually drive those bikes.

As for why a logistics student need those information the answer is that in my course Production Logistics we got this product about starting a trial motor manufacturing plant and afterwards succesfully advertise it. My idea was to offer customization to customers and not manufacture its own engine but buy one. That's why I asked you that question, this project is 100% of my final grade and that's why I put so much effort to actually contact someone.

Thanks to all who gave usable answers.

Regards, Ivan

I like the sound of the 4 stroke engine in my Montesa Cota 4RT

It's built to last.

It's got a wide power band.

The power is easy to control.

It's a bit more comfortable to ride on longer distances on the road.

It's got modern fuel injection.

No need to mix oil-fuel.

Only downside is the weight.