Last Ossa Pic`s

bambam_n_chunx

I think what they are is the original mounting point for the side tubes - it looks like they've been moved at some point and whoever did it didn't bother to get the grinder out and tidy up afterwards.

That motor is odd, there are mounting points for head steadys/ braces which I don't think I've seen before on a MAR?

Edit - no scratch that they look to be pointing upwards.

I don't think thats a pro built frame - well certainly not the monoshock top mount you can see where the weld has had to be tidied up with a grinder, if you were doing frames all day you wouldn't need to be doing that.

Are there any identifying features on the shock itself?

Edited by twinshock giles

I thought that but this has no air valve and I thought they all did, also it seems to work ok and if it were meant to be a pair would it be strong enough.

I've had an email from someone claiming his dad built it and he would like to buy it back for sentimental reasons but obviously it's not worth a great deal any thoughts on this

As stated it is definitely a fox shock, as to whether it was a fox twinshock shock or origonaly a monoshock easy to determine as a monoshock shaft was 5/8 and the twinshocks were 1/2. Regarding lengths of fox twinshocks, I had a 16 inch set on a Honda in the 1980s. I should say they were 16 inch long fox trial shocks not mx.

Edited by tlrmark

I thought that but this has no air valve and I thought they all did, also it seems to work ok and if it were meant to be a pair would it be strong enough.

I've had an email from someone claiming his dad built it and he would like to buy it back for sentimental reasons but obviously it's not worth a great deal any thoughts on this

Its certainly worth something, it depends on what their definition of not a great deal is, it would be one I would like to keep if I had built it.

If it was built by their Dad I would think they should be able to clear up some of the details about the bike.

I wouldnt be surprised if this is john reynolds old bike, would that be possible?

It doesn't look like it, as it's completely different, although it's confusing which variation of the cantilever JR rode. I didn't think he rode the Cheney bike which riders like Geoff Guy and Geoff Chandler rode, although Don Morley's book said he did. However, from the picture of JR on a cantilever in that book, it isn't a Cheney, and that book has a few errors in its depiction of the Ossa models. There was another cantilever bike at that time but I can't remember who built it. Keith Horsman did tell me years ago but I've forgotten and it's that bike he told me that JR rode. It was the 'JR' frame that Keith made replicas of and someone rode one in the SSDT in the late 80s. JR's bike looked like this:

post-71-0-44559700-1416739925_thumb.jpg

Cheney is said to have converted some MAR frames and also built his own cantilever frames. This is a Cheney bike (I was told) but I've also seen pictures of them without the exhaust modified in that way. It does appear to be a modified MAR frame though, although the picture isn't that clear when enlarged

post-71-0-50207400-1416740044_thumb.jpg

The bike of this article definitely isn't a MAR frame, the headstock isn't MAR deign and even if you made some big alterations to a MAR frame during conversion, you wouldn't change the headstock. My guess would be that it is a bike that someone has built for themselves.

Don Morleys book says JR. rode a Johnson modified ossa, there's also a pic of the same bike being ridden by another rider in another book I've seen when JR. went to swm. Can't remember the book or rider.

As the bike is 40 yr old it's had things changed, the wheels and tank are certainly not right and I will be trying to put it back to somewhere near original but as regard to value, it doesn't matter for the time being as I've no plans to sell it. I would like to trace its v5 if it had one but that's all.

My guess is the person who made the claim knows more about it but would rather keep his info,

Thanks for the help.

I remember seeing a well modified Ossa in the 90's at some Huddersfield Falcon trials, i think that had had the frame extensively modified but was running a CG? motor that the owner had bored/ stroked out to a 225?

No idea why anybody would change a headstock though, thats just wierd unless it was originally planned to run modern suspension?

It looks as though it is from the picture. The Ossa top and bottom bearings are the same size, so the flange in the headstock is the same top and bottom. On your frame they're different sizes, plus there looks to be an additional flange above the bottom one.

The gusset plates are quite different too where the tank rubbers mount, and the coil mounting is in a different place. From the other photos, if I remember correctly, the rear of the top tube is very different from a MAR as well. On a MAR it flattens out to where the seat rails begin. It's also different where the rear of the bashplate mounts.