Technique Question

I've been watching some video of Tony Bou and it occurred to me how amazing he is at hopping on his back wheel. What I'm wondering is, when you are hopping in wheelie position, but staying in place, say maybe just spinning around, is he on the gas and feathering the clutch or just the back brake?

I've done a bit of searching and looks like this has been covered before. It appears that either method might be appropriate depending on conditions. A more useful question would be, what method is recommended when learning to do this. It seems like the brake is more straight forward, but then hopping with your foot stuck to the brake pedal seems like it might be tough also

I've been watching some video of Tony Bou and it occurred to me how amazing he is at hopping on his back wheel. What I'm wondering is, when you are hopping in wheelie position, but staying in place, say maybe just spinning around, is he on the gas and feathering the clutch or just the back brake?

What`s funny is the other top 5 riders in the world are watching Bou and wondering the same thing. Try this one!

• Like 2

I am going to go ahead and request a tony Bou instructional video

So I found a link to how to do this on a bicycle.

Just how difficult is this? I've not been to a local event yet. Is this something I would see the upper classes doing at a local club event?

Very anxious to get my bike and start trying some of this stuff (obviously not the wheelie hop, just curious). Another week looks like

I agree with Lineaway it is very dangerous and difficult to wheelie hop a trials bicycle. You'd better start on un-mown grass... and I'd use full enduro armour and shin pads initially!

After a few days now on my first ever trials bicycle...

Wheelie hops are really the area of the young not the young of heart IMHO. Over 30, over 40, over 50 yrs the knees would take a pounding from the wheelie hop and cardio fitness better be at least reasonable.

You feet are not attached to the pedals in any way even though it looks like it in the vids... lift is generated from the bars via body inertia (very tiring and builds lactic quick if not pretty fit).

I went down twice in first 10 mins (as I stated elsewhere)... the are light, unstable, quicksteered, super low geared widow makers I throughly respected on day 2!

So much harder to static and fig 8 on compared to a trials motorcycle... so I'm thinking... if I conquer the bicycle for those I'll be up a "balance"level on the motorcycle. Time will tell!

Mags

Get your trials bike , forget everything you know from MX , go enter a event on the novice line , and have a good time ...

Trials done properly is a art form , your only competing against yourself at most amateur levels , and unless you are one of the few with natural ability like Bou , it takes alot of practice ... Going fast is easy ! Trials is not ... But it is quite personally rewarding , and when you get good , then you can amaze your friends , and kick their a$$ on the mx track too ! .......

Enjoy ,

Glenn

• Like 1