Ht Shortstroke.

jon v8

I'm now about to start building a shortstroke 500 Ariel.This afternoon I laid out all the bits I've got so far,so I can make a list of what I need.I then started looking at the 350 crank and rod I bought ages ago,it occurred to me how much of the flywheels is cut away compared to the crank in my AJS. I wonder if anyone has compared the weight of a complete shortstroke engine to the original long stroke ? Must be quite a bit lighter with an inch less of barrel aswell.

Also wondering if people use the same carb with similar settings ?

• 2 weeks later...

Again it looks like I'm on my own ! Ah well, I think I can make it work,bit of fiddling around and I'll get there in the end. On the way though I'd like to thank Alan Whitton,John Budgen and especially Mick Ash for their help and absolute top notch service in supplying parts.It really is a pleasure to do business with people who go the extra mile to help out,such a relief to deal with people who are interested in more than just money.

• Like 2

wow, you need to go on an MSE course, I can help you................... I think one of the reasons why you don't get many responses is that not many people know the answers, as there appears to be far too much interest in Post Office bikes :-( I'll continue to ride proper bikes, the day you see me on a trial on a 2-stroke shoot me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as its been a bit quiet on here over the festive break I thought I'd stick up a pic of some of the bits I've collected for my new Ariel.The BTH mag has already found a home on my AJS for now,along with the new carb from Surrey Cycles... The hubs and fork yokes from Alan Whitton are pure art - almost a shame to stick them on a bike that's going to get filthy.John Bartram is building a frame and swinging arm and then the build will start...

post-3125-0-07437600-1419789734_thumb.jpg

• Like 3