New Bike

deanogasgas

Hi all,

After selling my trusty 04 gasgas pro 250, ive just perchased a 2012 sherco 290 :) .

Could anyone tell me the correct oil for this, and also is there any gremlines i should watch out for.

Ive had the bike out for about an hour just to make shure its ok. all seams fine.

A little more ooomph than the gassa, Anyway of calming it down, I was looking for a 250 but not alot out there.

New fork socks to go on, anyone got some torque settings for the clamps, or a manual i can get my hans on.

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers Deano.

P. S. Keep ya feet up..

Light gear oil I found works best in the shercos, put 450 in rather than the stated 500.

The exhaust and tank will dent when you so much as breathe on them so get them protected. The frame at the headstock always gets marked as the pathetic plastic protector is rubbish.

Ways to soften the power delivery:

- slow action throttle if not already fitted (has white plastic tube under the grip)

- extra head gasket

- retard ignition. This has been covered in previous threads on the Trialscentral Sherco forum, or google "sherco ignition timing guide"

Enjoy the bike.

Edited by cleanorbust

Hi, I have a 2011 Sherco 290 that I've owned for just over a year. The guy I purchased it from had done all three of the above (slow throttle, head gasket and retard timing) to soften it. I've reset the timing and gone back to fast throttle and find it nice to ride (now I've learnt to tame it a bit....).

Oil - 450ml of Putoline GP10 is what I use. Be careful when replacing the drain screw, the threads have been stripped in mine and I'm now on a slightly longer bolt that just nips.......engine strip to do a helicoil repair..........

Replaced flywheel side crank shaft seal which seamed to make it tick over a bit better, was 'hunting' slightly before.

Have had to replace the gear lever shaft return spring as it broke, not too expensive, but clutch off job so took a couple of hours. Nothing you can do to prevent/check this.

I found this preparation guide (http://www.splatshop.co.uk/2010-2011-sherco-preparation) quite useful, I know it's for the 11/10 models but most will apply. The bit about mud protection, especially the rear shock is good advice.

Mine also had a fuel tap fitted, I'm told that without one vibrations from transporting the bike can cause the pump to pass and flood the carb.

Manuals can be found here - http://www.sherco.com/download-en.html

Have fun.........

Just traded my 2012 290in for 2015 300. I ran on putoline nanotrans gear oil after trying a few. The clutch was much smoother and manageable it is expensive but lasts much much longer between changes. It was recommended by splatshop boys. As for niggles never had any but keeping carb clean is a big must ! Othe thing is some of the 2012 bashplates were like paper and split I replaced mine with a CSP one much stronger and same price as sherco one give or take a fiver.