Modern 125 Or Classic Fantic?

martinchivers

I rode trials in the '80s. But stopped in 1986, for financial reasons. I had a lot of bikes, but liked the fantic 200 professional the best. I'm thinking of riding again and looking at the new bikes. I didn't like the 240 fantic, too much power. Looked at modern stuff but no idea which is best. Beta, Gasgas, sherco, to name a few. If I go down the fantic route (no pun intended) it's not easy to find a nice one. I have lost a lot of my confidence so no plans to win any championships. I had a brief ride on a 270 gasgas & hated it. It nearly dislocated both of my shoulders! Wonder if anyone has any input?

Sounds just like my journey. Rode in late 70's and into the later parts of 80's - Tl125, Tl250, Cota 348, Cota 200, Cota 242. Kids came along, forgot to go to events, sold the bike and then 19 years later went to watch a local club trial and caught the bug again. Same question you have - started back on a Fantic 245 - great bike, lots of traction etc, and then had a ride on a 2008 Beta Evo 125 and sold the Fantic as trials was so much easier and fun with the light nimble Beta Evo 125. Bought a 2009/10 Evo 125 and learnt to ride trials again. A year on, a 2012 Beta Evo 200 graced the garage and 2 years later a 2014 Jotagas 250. Thinking back though, would I have chosen the Beta Evo 125 straight off - most probably not as the thought was to just have some fun, ride a bit etc etc but best thing I did was buy that Evo 125 as it taught me much more about good riding and besides it was ~20kg lighter than the Fantic.

Whatever you decide, decide for yourself but warn the other half that it might not be "the last bike I will ever need". Importantly get out and have fun.

• Like 1

The Scorpa in the link seems about right price. A grand gets you in a/c mono territory I'd say, you may get a back kick 200 Fantic for the same but they are rising in value. A/c monos are the last affordable a/c trials bike, grab one while you can, they won't be cheap for long.

125 evo, it will give you your confidence back, if you start again where you left off you will find that you are riding as a novice and everyone else has moved on and it will feel as if you have to be twice as good to get your bike to do what the modern bike novices are doing with their eyes closed. Ones you have got your skills back and used to the modern style of sections and riding then you could make the change back.

• Like 1

Hi Martin, here's my two bobs worth. I road a Sherco 2007 125/200 over the last two years and for the last 2 months I've had a 2012 GasGas 250 pro, so much easier to ride than the Sherco. And my arms are still the same length as when I started, it's suits me and I'm on the wrong side of 70.

Cheers Taff

• Like 1

I'd say a Beta 200 would be ideal. All the advantages pointed out by Shazsfan with the weight advantage of the 125. There may be more 125s on the secondhand market but 200s are generally used by riders who will not have imposed the "benefit" of modern riding techniques.on their bike.