Removing Kick Start Gear

dusty_viper

Hi All,

I need to replace the Kickstart and the idle gear on my 2008 280 TXT Pro as they ate each other on friday!

The idle gear came off easy enough but I can't work out how to remove the kickstart gear. Could someone let me know how to get it off please.

I'm also a bit concerned because I THINK that a bit of metal shaving might have worked it's way into the bearing on the crank as I believe I did see some metal here but even after trying to fish it out with a magenet I couldn't get it out and I can't see it now. I'm not sure whether this has a seal on top of the bearing which would stop anything falling in it?

The bike is currently on its side so I didn't have to drain the oil (I was hoping to drain it after I had put it back together to get rid of any rubbish still floating around).

What are your guys thoughts on the metal shaving?

Thanks a lot in advance.

THe metal shavings are from the gear probably, try to get it all out. Could not really get into the crank bearing though, since there is the gear and the waterpump on top, and also some kind of cage inside the bearing.

You can remove the kickstarter shaft by turning it a bit with the kickstarter mounted to the shaft and turn it anti clockwise and wiggle it a bit.

Hi Crazybond, thanks for your reply. I noticed the metal shaving was actually behind the cog (I took that off to inspect and make sure there was no wear on it) I might try and blast it out with some GT85 or something. If I can't get anything out, does this really pose an issue? I always thought that the bearings on the big end bearing have a metal cage round the balls.

I did turn the kick start while moving it and it did start to come out but with all the spring and everything attached too. Should this happen?

I didn't want to just pull it out in case the spring was a nightmare to get back on!

Thanks again.

Hi Crazybond, thanks for your reply. I noticed the metal shaving was actually behind the cog (I took that off to inspect and make sure there was no wear on it) I might try and blast it out with some GT85 or something. If I can't get anything out, does this really pose an issue? I always thought that the bearings on the big end bearing have a metal cage round the balls.

I did turn the kick start while moving it and it did start to come out but with all the spring and everything attached too. Should this happen?

I didn't want to just pull it out in case the spring was a nightmare to get back on!

Thanks again.

Have a look at the waterpump, maybe peace missing? Happens sometimes when you put the waterpump on wrong, than the waterpump shaft will snap (small bits).

Could be some other part aswell of course.

And yes, all of the spring etc gets out of the case. Than you need to take the gear off, (remember the timing!), put new one on, replace the cap and spring, and than put it back in the casing with the spring only in the small hole, turn it one round anti clockwise, and then press the shaft into the bearing as it should be. This will bring the right pressure on the spring etc.

Edited by crazybond700